Anyone know how to get a car key out...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d_and_n5000, Jul 16, 2009.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

...of a car that won't turn to lock?

1997 Honda Odyssey, I had to get a new key cut for it. Used it, it turned the engine over, drove fine, stopped, put it in park and the key won't turn back past accessory. I made sure it's in park, jiggled the key, jiggled the shifter while I jiggled the key, jiggled the wheel while I jiggled the key, and no go.

Any ideas?

edit: I noticed that when I push in the key to be able to turn it off, I'm pushing to the base of the head of the key...hopefully it doesn't need like a millimeter more push to turn it. Then I'm screwed.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You can try tapping the key GENTLY with a small hammer, screwdriver handle, etc. as you try turning it back. And if that doesn't work, grab it with pliers and tap it again as you pull gently on it while turning it.

Neither are you hitting it hard or twisting hard, just trying to get it past a hung area with the pins in the lock.

With your 3rd and 4th arms you can also try doing all this while jiggling the steering wheel.

Could be something as simple as a sharp edge on the new cut key hanging in the lock.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

The steering wheel may have locked. Try turning it hard to the furthest side the wheels are turned.

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT FORCE THE KEY!
    It will break and make you :(

4. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

WOO! Turns out that the key is too short. When I went to push the key in as I was turning it out, the head of the key kept it from getting pushed in enough to turn. I wound up having to push another key up to the side of the key and push that in to get the cylinder in enough to get it to turn out.

So, kids, the lesson of the story is make sure your key is long enough BEFORE you shove it in.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

And I've always been told size doesn't matter.... Now I'm going to be self conscious.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D