Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdantzlerw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
The harddrive on my Mac died earlier in the week and I was unable to retrieve any data from it. I have some pictures on my Apple TV that I would like to have back on my computer, does anyone know how this can be accomplished?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It will void your warranty, but I think your best (if not your only) bet will be to pop open the AppleTV, take out the hard drive, get a 2.5'' HDD adapter, and plug it into your computer. Once you do that, you will find something that looks not to dissimilar to an OSX install on the AppleTV's hard drive, and you should be able to use the finder to locate your photos.

I believe if the computer syncs with the AppleTV in the normal fashion, and the computer lacks the files that are on the AppleTV, it will erase those files from the device.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
If you have a Fry's Electronics, I think you could get one locally. Otherwise, head over to Newegg.com and get whatever adapter will work for you. I'm not actually sure which one that'll be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.