Anyone know how to get photos off iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by abijnk, Feb 14, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Hi, this past Tuesday the hard drive in my computer died. Now, the only place I have all of my photos are on my iPhone. Of course this isn't an issue with the photos that I took with my iPhone, but I am trying to find a way to get the other 1600 back onto my new computer.

Does anyone know how to get the photos that I have synced to my phone (from iPhoto) back onto my computer?

Thanks

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

You may or may not want to hear this:

You could email each photo to your email account and then put them back into iPhoto like that (obviously at a lower quality).

3. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL, yeah, I have thought of that, but it really isn't feasible to send 1600 photos to myself, especially since it has to be done 1 by 1. :(

4. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Also, remember that the versions of the photos on your phone are scaled-down versions of the originals. You're not going to get back the full-resolution ones that you lost.

You say your computer "died." This could mean a number of things. If the hard drive died, you might be toast. If the motherboard got fried, though, you can just take the hard drive out of your "dead" computer and use it in another computer. There are also companies out there that specialize in retrieving data off of crashed hard drives, although the service is going to be pricey. Do whatever you can to salvage that data.

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I would be happy just to have all the photos back, even the scaled down versions.

My hard drive in my spankin new macbook air took a dive, its already been exchanged for a pro at the Apple store, and they said they couldn't do anything for me.

Anyone else got any ideas? :confused:

6. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

You should be able to just sync the photos back to another computer, no?

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No, I don't think that would work.

However, you can try Jailbreaking the iPhone and see if there is an extraction App out there. I wouldn't be surprised if there was.... many iPhone applications are popping up each day. Then again, Jailbreaking the phone comes with its own bag of tricks; some good, some bad.

8. Will514 macrumors newbie

solution

You can SSH your iPhone (that's if it's jailbroken) and go to "root/Media/DCIM/100APPLE" that's where all the photos you've taken with your phone should be.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Good idea, but he doesn't want the pictures he has taken with his iPhone, but the pictures that were taken and transferred to the iPhone.

10. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

This phone is not jailbroken, and jailbreaking would wipe it out since it requires restores.

This is a longshot I am sure, but if I hook my phone up to my new computer and back it up, would I be able to get the photos out of the backup somehow?

Thanks

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Spotlight "image capture" with phone connected. Start Image Capture. The rest is self explanatory.

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Wow! Never even thought of that. Please OP, let us know how it goes.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All that will do is transfer the items on the "Camera Roll". If you have access to a PC, however, you could possibly use "iPhone Transfer Photo" by Tansee, which claims to be able to do this, and then transfer the photos to your Mac from the PC. There does not appear to be a Mac equivalent. Try out the Free Trial version and see if it works.

http://www.downloadmegasite.com/tansee-iphone-transfer-photo-download.aspx

14. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

As skunk said, this only gets the photos that were taken on the phone.

This program seems to work, however, it wants you to buy it to be able to do more than 6 photos, and it really isn't worth $20 when I am just going to use it once... Thanks for the link though!

I am going to try to find a free alternative to this for mac.

15. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

What did you end up using?

16. Darreners macrumors newbie

PhoneView

Look into the application PhoneView. That should help you out.

17. andybrown44 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go back in time and backup your hard drive.

18. glen e macrumors 68030

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

20. inmate222 macrumors newbie

easy way

You just need to have iPhoto. Plug your iPhone into your iMac (or PC) via the provided iPhone/USB cable. If iTunes opens automatically, close it out and open iPhoto. Click on your iPhone in the left-hand column. You'll then see a display telling you iPhoto is ready to import however many photos/videos you have in your iPhone Photobook. Choose Import and you're done!:)