General Anyone know how to get the "4G" icon?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by angelwings, Mar 19, 2013.

1. angelwings macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone knows how to change the 3G icon to 4G?

2. Auxo macrumors 6502

3. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I actually want to do the reverse. My iPhone 4S has no 4G capability, so I would prefer it to show 3G on screen in order to accurately reflect the connection speed.

I expect any solution would be able to change the icon in either direction, so if anyone knows how to do this on iOS 6 that would be great.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm assuming you mean on an iPhone 4 not 4S?

Hmm the 4S does have 4G capability, I'm a little confused.

5. angelwings thread starter macrumors member

Why not? :p

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

There needs to be an "IN BETWEEN" 3G and 4G icon.

Having "3G" on the AT&T 4S is inaccurate. It doesn't work like "3G" on the Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4S.

Verizon 4S: 7 Mbps
    Sprint 4S: 7 Mbps
    AT&T 4S: ~14~ Mbps

AT&T should have put in a "3G+" icon or something. "H" or "H+" would just confuse people (I had to Google what "H" meant on some phones), and too many people RAGE over "4G".

T-Mobile has been advertising HSPA+ as being "4G" for a while. AT&T was just joining the "4G" party.

If you want to adhere to the STRICTEST of standards, LTE is not "4G", either. Current LTE is NOT "fully IMT-Advanced compliant" for being a 4G technology.

"4G" is thrown around a lot. If LTE is "4G", then so is HSPA+, which is what the AT&T 4S uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

What is listed on Wikipedia's 4G page? That's right, HSPA+.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Verizon and Sprint 4S speeds are about 3.2Mbps not 7. There is no actual icon image for the 4G in the status bar. It is dynamically generated by the AT&T carrier bundle. You can't change it, remove it, or add it to other carrier bundles without invalidating the signature and causing the edited carrier bundle to be nonoperative. The 4S is a 4G device, but only on GSM carriers. The only time a 4S will ever show the 4G symbol is when it is connect to AT&T's 3G or HSPA+ network. It will not show up for any other carrier.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not change it to 5G?
    Then you'd be extra cool:D

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I've seen the tweak in Cydia so one can show 4g as your connection even when your on 3G

Why !

10. bun.bhay macrumors member

As Intell stated. Not quite sure if it'll work for cdma carriers. But it does work for gsm carriers. If you're comfortable with tinkering around then give it a shot, if not, leave it as is. In order to change the 3G/4G icon on the status bar you have to dig into the carrier bundle. Using ifile from idevice or ifunbox, something similar from desktop navigate to system > library > carrier bundles > iphone. Search for carrier bundle (ex. att_us.bundle). Open up carrier.plist with txt editor and search for DataIndicatorOverride. Change the string to 3G or 4G. Both are interchangable. Do a hard reboot. First rule of thumb. Back up the file before modifying.

-----------------
    Funny you mentioned that. I've tried. Wasn't cool enough. =]

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This will invalidate the signature that Apple uses on all carrier bundles starting with iOS 3.1. The result will be simple phone calls and texting only with no MMS or visial voicemail support and limited data ability, possibly with no tethering support.