Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I dropped my laptop and the 1 control key is the only key broken and its now impossible to use the terminal for anything anymore. Is there a way i can remap the control key to something else within terminal?

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I dropped my laptop and the 1 control key is the only key broken and its now impossible to use the terminal for anything anymore. Is there a way i can remap the control key to something else within terminal?

go to the preferences for terminal, theres a section for keyboard shortcuts.

I don't know much about it though, looks like control keys are coded as a backslash and 3 numbers. google would probably help in that dept.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
The easiest way is to remap your caps lock key to a control key. I do this on all my computers to make life easier on my hands. Really nice if you use Screen, Vim or Emacs all the time. I never use the normal control key anymore.

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Modifier Keys and you'll see where you can modify it. There are a few other keys you can modify there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.