Anyone know how to reflow PB Graphics chips?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SuperCompu2, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I've seen the forum threads on other sites, and the digg article of how a guy used a tea light with alcohol, but I was wondering if one of our own MR faithful knew of reflowing Ball Grid Array solder's on a PB G4 board. My graphics are displaying symptoms of a problem many iBook G3s have, and I'd like to inexpensively repair my trusty PB before school gets back into full swing.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

2. Demolition macrumors newbie

That's kinda funny that your PB is showing the same symptoms that is going on with the ibooks. Just out of curiosity, is it just happening to the internal LCD display, or do the effect also occur on an external display or the A/V minijack?

3. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Well, it will happen on the internal LCD, but I need not test the other outputs because the unit completely locks up after the intermittent video begins (the unit does not sleep when lid is shut, doesn't respond to input, etc)

I have tried booting with DVI connected LCD, but I got no results.

These TiBooks were being produced at the same time as the iBooks experiencing the trouble, so I assume the graphics assembly was similar if not identical. Just wondering if anyone had any idea if a similar fix could be done for a TiBook

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I think some people were fashioning a heat shield out of heavy gauge foil, and then using a heat gun (like what you use to strip paint)

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

ebay link

I've done business with First Phase Tech. Their fee is very reasonable. You could give them a call and tell them about your problem. The least they could do is X-Ray your video chip and see if there are any fractured joints.

Also, you don't have to go through ebay. I just happened upon their listing one day on ebay and decided to give them a call for more information. The guy I spoke with was very helpful and we talked on the phone for at least 20 minutes. Eventually I asked if we could skip ebay and deal directly, and he agreed. I sent him a broken board in the mail, along with a note to contact me to arrange for payment. I was surprised a week later to see a package on my doorstep with a fully-functional iBook logicboard inside. So I phoned him again and got his paypal address. Nice guy, and he does great work.

6. Demolition macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if your symptoms are identical to the ibook logic board problem. The reason I say that is that I don't think the ibooks lock up after the video problem, or wouldn't go to sleep. Acutally, do the PB's have a reed switch in the screen to control the sleep mode? If the wires to that would be shorted it could possibly lock up the comp. i dunno, but I think that you should open it up and look for loose connections, or broken wires near the hinge first.