Anyone know how to repair a corrupt disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexsb1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Alexsb1, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

Alexsb1 macrumors newbie

Final Cut Pro 7 has been continually crashing on me, citing my graphics card as the reason. I also get lots of "out of memory" errors, when I have plenty of hard drive space, free RAM, and relatively simple sequences. I doubt that my graphics card is the real problem because I just got a new one in November. I've been editing high res video files on this computer for almost 4 years with no problems until now. I tried to use Disk Utility but the "Repair Disk" button is grayed out so I tried "Verify Disk" but it says that my disk is corrupt and cannot be verified. I've read postings that say to start up my computer with the installation disk, but I no longer have it. Any thoughts? Should I try upgrading to Lion? I'm just hesitant to do that because I'll probably end up replacing this computer soon anyway.

Computer specs:
    15" MacBook Pro ~2008
    2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You'll need another tool if Disk Utility can't fix it. I'd recommend DiskWarrior from Alsoft, I've used it for years with good success.

jW

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

diskwarrior, as stated above. has saved me on a few occasions...

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use Disk Warrior as well. Works great for fixing corrupt disks and recovering broken file directories.

That said, if you have this corruption issue a lot (or this computer is important for work), I'd consider getting a replacement drive.

5. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

Do you have a OS X that you can use to boot to Disk Utility? I had the same problem that you did and AFAIK you cannot repair the boot disk while it is being used. You need to use a bootable OS X DVD or USB to repair the disk. I was able to repair my disk and it has been working fine ever since for over a year.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

The OP said he didn't have a bootable disk.

OP, you might be able to get one from apple. I wouldn't try to upgrade to Lion with a corrupt disk though; that just sounds like a recipe for disaster...

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

8. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

When Disk Utility's attempted repair screwed up my disk royally, I tried a number of things, and what finally worked was fsck_hfs. Unfortunately, I can't remember what options I used, and I think I needed to boot from my install DVD.

9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I had this same problem once on my MacBook. The only way I could fix it was by erasing the HD, and reinstalling the OS with a disc. I'm pretty sure someone has the disc on eBay OR you can buy a new one from Apple. I'm not really sure if installing Lion will help the problem.