Anyone know how to rethread the end of a faucet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Nov 10, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The threads on the end of our kitchen sink faucet is messed up, so our Brita filter thingy that screws on is no longer to stay on, it just falls off whenever the water is turned on. One of my housemates mentioned there's a way to rethread a faucet, yet none of us actually know anything about how to do it. He said he thinks it's an easy do-it-yourself thing so we won't have to bother our landlord. Anyone have any insight on this subject?

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

We've had good success using pipe/faucet thread tape in a roll. In fact we have some on one of our kitchen filter connections at present. Can pick it up at Home Depot or lots of places.

Attached Files:

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So is that tape that just goes on the end of the faucet that the filter will screw into? Thanks

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, it wraps around and clings to what stripped thread there is, and lets you attach the other end. Not a pro fix, but it works pretty well with our filter. Of course, I can't guarantee it'll work with that lousy St. Louis water. :p

Good luck.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It's actually Rolla water where I'm at now, so I don't know if that's better or worse :D

Tastes like sh*t though. Since our filter isn't on, I had to drink unfiltered Rolla water and I think I would've rather had a glass of piss. Yuck.

6. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

only problem is its not a standard thread, so you cant find a die for it...find somewhere you can buy a new spout is about the only option you got

this is coming from 10+ years of working in a small hardware store, trust me.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well that sucks. You'd think some company would have made a die for it by now. I guess that means it's time to teflon tape that bitch up!

9. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

If your faucet is stripped it would be pretty tough to find a die that would allow you to rethread it!

if its your brita thats stripped, very little chance of dining a tap that allow you to rethread it

Easiest solution is to get a brita water jug ! :) or a water distiller, or a reverse osmosis unit :) they make great water :)

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You'd definitely assume that the folks who manufacture the faucets themselves use a standard die to make the parts in the first place or how would Brita know what size to make their filter?

It's more likely a case of the tool not being readily available to the end-user as Torx and Tri-wing or triangle screwdrivers have been over the years.

B

11. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

LOL its not a common thing, you could likely find one in a specialty tool shop after extensive searching. If you get the Teflon Tape to work, dont get to crazy tightening it up! Teflon tape is designed merely as a thread lubricant for pipes, it will fill minor gapsand imperfections, however, it was never meant to replace threads :) so easy does it :)

12. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The Brita is fine, in fact, I thought it was the problem so I exchanged it at Wal-Mart today, turns out, it wasn't :D

I'd go for the jug, but we need something on the faucet, because right now, with nothing on it, it just spews water all over the place. I end up taking a shower while washing the dishes ;)

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I had similar problems with the one I have......in the end, i had to go to the hardware store and buy a metal adaptor to replace the plastic adaptor that came with it. that seems to have done the trick

14. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

Use an oxy-acetylene welder to attach the filter to the faucet, the plastic melting is only a side-effect and should quit as soon as the welding is completed...I know it sounds paradoxical, but trust me it will work. No, but seriously, teflon tape, like previously mentioned, shouldn't really be used for this application. You'd be better off using duct tape, which is ridiculous to say the least, it sounds like you need a new faucet. Just get a cheapy, your landlord will never know the difference.

15. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert