Anyone know how to sort contacts by business name?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Socom, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Socom macrumors newbie

I don't know about most people, but I have hundreds and hundreds of contacts. If I am dealing with a company, I don't know all of the names of the people there, so I need to be able to sort by business name so I can see who works for that company, then choose the department I need and make the call to that contact, just like I do in Outlook. Anyway to do this on the iPhone?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am not completely sure about this. but if all your contacts are synced with your mac then under address book click edit and check the box next to the company name. it will then swap the company name and the person so the company name shows first. good luck.

3. Socom thread starter macrumors newbie

You lost me, where do I select the box next to company name on the iPhone?

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

haha okay sorry. first off, this is done on your computer not on the iPhone. i have a macbook with leopard....
    sync all your contacts with your iPhone through itunes...
    Then go to address book.app on your mac.
    click edit on the bottom of the application.
    command click all the names you want to change.
    click the small box on the left side of "company"
    that should do it hopefully

Attached Files:

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't know that you can sort of company, other than the method mentioned above.

An easier method to accomplish what you are trying to do is just search for the company that you are looking for. All contacts from that company would show up.

A final alternative would be to create a group for each company on your computer.

6. Socom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I dont have a mac. so that first one wont work. I did notice right before i read your post that searching does list companies, so for now that will work. I will have to try to play with the groups, but I am not sure how to do that on Windows Outlook... so, ill just play and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the help!

7. stealth76 macrumors newbie

99 cent app will do this beautifully...

search the app store for "Fast Contacts", an app by a company named SpiceLoop. It only costs 99 cents and works great, it will let you sort contacts by anything you want to.

8. kdrew macrumors newbie

kdrew

EasyContacts is the answer

The best app out there (to sort by COMPANY NAME) that nobody knows of is called "EasyContacts". Be sure to search for it was written in the app store. It is money well spent. Every person I show this app to decides to buy it. I use Card Scan still to scan business cards and then export the contacts to Outlook. I then sync my iPhone via iTunes to read my Outlook contacts. PERFECTION!!