Anyone know how TrackID works?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 27, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My new phone has the Sony Ericsson TrackID thing and it's bloody amazing. It records a small sample of a song, sends it off to the interwebs, and it comes back and tells me the song and artist and album. I've been playing with it for awhile, and it's always right, it's like it's reading my mind. The only time it failed me while testing was on the beginning of Hysteria by Muse....it came back and told me it was Interlude by Muse. Same band, same album, so even then, that's impressive. Anyone know the technology behind this, like how it actually works? Because it's nothing short of amazing and I'm really curious.

2. MLeepson macrumors 6502

I read about thing like this in Popular Science before. It was about a web site that lets you hum or whistle part of a song and it searches their database of people who've hummed or whistled the song correctly into the database.

It's probably something like that.I'll try to look for that website, but I have a lot of PopSci magazines. :p

edit 2.0: after googling the TrackID thing, I found it on Wikipedia. It says that iTunes uses it too. It looks cool.