Anyone know if Apple is ever going to fix the external display bug with new MB/MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WilliamG, Dec 8, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

This bug is driving both me and the wife completely MAD. (two different new MBP unibodies)

Here's an example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AgbN1NlWsLA

It does this with my Apple Cinema Display 23" and my wife's Samsung 245BW 24" 1080p LCD monitor as well.

There's also a large thread about it on the Apple Discussion Boards, but 2 months down the line and Apple still haven't done anything about it.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1760586&start=0&tstart=0

It's really, really frustrating! :(

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Edit: Sorry, my post was irrelevant to your question.

There have been several problems of compatibility with Samsung displays in particular with the new machines. See this thread Here for one similar problem.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

It is absolutely nothing to do with Samsungs. Just there are a lot of people out there with Samsung displays and MacBook Pros! :)

Again, the problem is present in exactly the same form on my Cinema Display 23". I really hope Apple fixes this soon... *sigh*

4. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Got it, as well.

I have a 30' cinema display. Same problem. I also have a refresh rate issue as well. had to tweak the white color calibration. Ugh....really glad I spent $1800 for this monitor.

5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I agree that it seems independent of Samsung. I have the exact same problem (and in addition a general problem waking up the external monitor from sleep) with a 24 inch Dell with the new MBPro.

My worry/suspicion is that the 9400 graphics card isn't powerful enough to do it and this is why Apple can't fix it. There's no problem with the 9600 card (apart from the laptop running insanely hot and the fans going crazy of course).

I have to say that apart from the larger hard drive, faster processor, more RAM, and crisper screen (as long as I'm not outside) this notebook is definitely a step back from my previous 2006 MBP. It's basically a laptop made especially for the <1% of the population who needs to edit high definition video while traveling as well as for the ~20% or so who like to play games while traveling. It's not a Pro computer anymore but a failed attempt at one.

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I have this problem regardless of using the 9600 or 9400. And yes, it's a real step back in terms of general hardware, but honestly, I'm not surprised going with Nvidia that this happened...

7. macbook123 macrumors 68000

How are you able to run the 30" cinema with one of the new MB(P)'s in the first place???? I've been waiting for my MDP->Dual DVI adapter since day one.

8. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I should say that I didn't try the 9600 for very long. The heat and fan noise was just unbearable. So it may be that I will experience the problem with the 9600 as well if I tried longer.