Anyone know if Fallout3 has the abomb glitch?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by whooleytoo, Sep 16, 2009.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Since Fallout 3 uses a similar engine to Oblivion; does anyone know if the "abomb" glitch is in that too?

If you don't know it - the glitch happens when your total game time builds up. Most of the gameplay is fine, but several animations (such as doors opening) slow to >10 spf (not a typo! that's 10 seconds per frame). The only way around it is create a new character and start again, but play quicker next time.. Occurs on PC, 360 and PS3.

It just happened to me in Oblivion, and I'm not going back to the start. But I don't want to waste time playing Fallout3 if it ultimately may have the same issue.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've a good 20 hours with Fallout 3 and subsequent expansions. I have not heard or experienced anything like this happening.

However I was 17 hours into Oblivion and never had that problem either. :eek:

3. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Erm.. in Oblivion terms, 17 hours wouldn't even qualify as clearing your throat! :p

The issue only starts happening after at least 200 hours. I had 498 hours on my character, and yet still had two guilds quest-lines remaining. (Which is why I think Oblivion is the best value game I've ever played on any platform, bar none. The amount of content in there is staggering).

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Lol.... Well you are in cork my man, there's nothing safer than spending 498 hours in front of your tv instead of on the streets :p unlike all the fine sheep us kerrymen get to spend our time with..... :)

PS. were gonna kill ye in the final on Sunday ;)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've already put in at least 40+ hours into the game and I haven't run into any big glitch in which you speak of so I'm going with no. I've basically done/been everywhere the game has to offer and no big game changing atom bomb type glitch.

Fallout 3 is nowhere near as big as Oblivion so reduced them hours a little and MRU time is respectable....at best;)

Bless

6. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Don't even go there, Kerryman. We'll be running rings around you so fast, it's like your stuck in your own abomb! :p

Just in case that 498 hours makes me sound... err.. obsessive compulsive; that was over a period of 3 years, on and off, whenever I picked up one of the expansions I started playing again. In fairness, there is >498 hours worth of content in the game, I still have (sorry, had..) quite a bit to do.

Yeah, I played Fallout 3 a little; and my impression was the world-size seemed similar; but there's more packed into Oblivion, with mines, forts, ruins, caves, quests in the Oblivion plane etc.

Have you played the DLC yet too?

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Actually no because I play Fallout 3 on the PS3:mad: but next week It will be available on PSN(two DLC a week until all is out) so I'll be diving into broken steel soon but from the vanilla version I've done/explored 90% of the game.

I'll let you know if theres problems with the DLC but going from the 360's DLC launch we'll have some too.

Bless

8. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Eek..

I've been playing Fallout 3 a lot lately, and ever since I downloaded the DLC, it's become horribly unstable.

Frequent freezes (once per hour, often more), very frequent stutters (5-20 second freezes, then gameplay continues), excessive load-times for no obvious reason (up to 5 minutes to start a game).

But now, it's even worse. I can't play for more than 30 seconds without the game freezing. I've tried deleting the game data on the hard drive - I don't want to delete the DLC as I don't know if I can download it without paying for it again?

I don't know if this is similar to the abomb glitch mentioned above; but that's now two Bethesda games I own, neither of which I can play due to serious bugs. :eek:

9. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I have 150 hours of playing time in. I found the only times the game would freeze up would be in Point Lookout... which by the way is the best of the DLC in my opinion. However, generally after the game froze up, if I left it alone for a minute or so, it would restore itself. To be fair, this only has happened 3 or 4 times.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This puts me off buying the GOTY edition for the 360. (have it on Steam but I'd like all the DLC and it on the xbox too)

11. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It was quite stable when I was running "vanilla" Fallout 3, but after installing the DLC - I bought all 5 of them - it started getting progressively worse. Sometimes these freezes lasted a few seconds, on one occasion it froze for over 5 minutes and then came back to life. Lately, it's frozen for good, and the game is unplayable. :eek:

Hope the same issue isn't starting to happen to you.

It might be just me, or might be just a problem with the PS3 version, I can't say. It is very disappointing that I can't play two of my favourite games though (well, I can play Oblivion by starting from the very start, but that's not very appealing). It's a mark of how good Fallout 3 is that I've been playing it for several days now in spite of countless freezes.

Incidentally, what options do you have if you buy DLC and it doesn't work? They state there are no refunds, but I don't think they can just sell you a lemon and not offer you any recourse.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've downloaded all the DLC(PS3 version) and it has become less stable than the original version...I've ran across some freezing and slow downs. Since I downloaded the DLCs I've had about 5-8 crashes. I save every five minutes now because of this unsure stableness and constant freezing.

Bethseda really need to do more QA before they release their game...all of them suffer from the same thing.

Note: Point Lookout is excellent...OA sucks.

Bless

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Pfft. Play EverQuest (the first one, not the second one). I had 2,400 hours before I burnt out and I was considered a casual player.

As for the thread topic I can't comment on the console versions but my Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3 on the PC is working pretty flawlessly for me so far.

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Does the game show total playtime somewhere? I never saw it. I played it quite a lot but must be sub-50 hours, though I can't really say since it can be quite a timesink (still contemplating Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta but I think I've had enough for now). No slowdowns. The game was always really, really glitchy though. I can't turn in my fingers because the NPC at Regulator HQ vanished. On my second play through during the final mission with Liberty Prime he got stuck on the bridge and it was game over if I hadn't made MULTIPLE saves in addition to quicksave and autosave (the game almost always crashes for me when loading autosaves, must make constant full saves).

p.s. I guess I should add I played the Steam PC version also with GFW Live installed (which made it really annoying waiting to login before I could load my game ¬_¬).

15. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It was the same for me, it was initially quite stable until I downloaded the DLC, and it's been getting progressively worse since. A couple of things which are odd - the music keeps playing even though the game is frozen; and for me it now freezes after a fixed amount of time (about 30 seconds). I only noticed this because I loaded my saved game and tried going down a road a few times, and each time I froze at precisely the same spot. Tried a different route, and it froze after the same interval.. weird.

Tonight, I'll try starting a new game and see if that's stable.

:p Fair enough. I bow to your superior... knowledge? Endurance? OCD?

I think I'm at about 190 hours, but almost all of that is in the original game, I've not played much of the DLC. I have also noticed what you say about the auto-saves, I have also noticed far more issues with auto-saves than manual saves. - and the same issue with Oblivion.