Anyone know if MBP external monitor in clamshell possible with XP/BootCamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .macstiled, Nov 6, 2007.

1. .macstiled macrumors member

Running Windows by way of (Leopard's) BootCamp on my MBP, but can't figure out how to use my external ACD as main while in clamshell mode. I tried just cloning the displays since the "use as primary" option in the ACD's display properties was greyed out for some reason, but soon as I switch to clamshell I can't wake it up with either the mouse or keyboard.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

What graphics card is your MBP sporting? If it's an ATI card, you will have to download the Catalyst control center application from AMD's website. I'm not sure about for the nVidia cards, but I imagine they have an application to control them as well.

3. .macstiled thread starter macrumors member

It's an nVidia card. Already went through all the menu options it offered, but all the multiple display stuff wasn't helpful. And this is because when I try to span the desktop I don't get the option to choose which is primary, as the option is greyed out for the ACD, which is the first time I've ever seen that.

Is there a way to wake up the laptop while in Windows/BootCamp clamshell mode? Can wake it up just fine in OS X, but in Windows it isn't responding. Not by default anyway.

Edit: So did a test, looks like Windows is dropping wireless during standby, so naturally I have no way to let the system know. Wonder if a usb key would trigger a return from standby...