Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi.

Quick request for help here...

I am selling some antique plates and one has an oriental inscription on the base. I have attached a photo. Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 88

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Kinsei Eiwa.

Basically an overtly polite way of saying "Made in Japan".

By the looks of it, doesn't seem very... antique.

irmongoose

Thanks. It was valued at around £50 so it is worth a bit, but I agree it doesn't look very 'Antique' but I don't like it so that is why I am selling it!

Thanks for you help.

gikku

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Kinsei Eiwa.

Basically an overtly polite way of saying "Made in Japan".

By the looks of it, doesn't seem very... antique.

irmongoose

Nearly. That may be close enough for your purposes but while Eiwa maybe in Japan it is not Japan itself.
Sorry to spoil the party, but it doesn't say "Made in Japan". :confused:
Reading the Chinese characters (Kanji) in Japanese it does say "Kinsei Eiwa", the "Wa' can mean Japan but not with "Ei" on top. I'd suggest it says "Respectfully Made by Eiwa..." but I don't know the name, Eiwa. :)

character top left, is polite or Respectfully.
character bottom left, is Made by
Characters on the right side "Ei" and "wa" are a name I don't know, but it's not Japan.

Google other other Japanese internet searches return "Eiwa" as the name of a city in Saitama, a bakery, a chinese restaurant, ...

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
You're right. :eek:
I looked into it further and it seems in Chinese the "Eiwa" is read as "Ron" or "ron-hou", so it could mean "Made by Ron".

So this means it's actually probably Chinese, not Japanese. Sorry about my earlier post.

irmongoose

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
My mom, fluent in Chinese says that it says, "Rong Heh Jing Jtze" where rong heh is most likely a company name, jing is like "worthy of respect," and jtze means manufactured.

So no, not terribly romantic at all. :p

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
My mom, fluent in Chinese says that it says, "Rong Heh Jing Jtze" where rong heh is most likely a company name, jing is like "worthy of respect," and jtze means manufactured.

So no, not terribly romantic at all. :p

You typed that out the way it sounds, right? Not pinyin? Because I don't think "heh" and "jtze" are proper pinyin :confused:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well obviously not, but even the official ways of writing it aren't so "official". If the only people who contributed to its invention are old white dudes teaching languages at universities, then meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.