Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I have moved to america and am british. I would like to be a Air Traffic Control Officer once i finish high school but will I qualify with a high school diploma instead of A-Levels?
What is required by to be an officer? interview or just need the qualifications?

I did a 1 weeks work experience at RAF Wittering earlier this year at the Air Traffic Control tower and I loved it so its something i probably want to pursue. How does the RAF sponsorship to University work?

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I have moved to america and am british. I would like to be a Air Traffic Control Officer once i finish high school but will I qualify with a high school diploma instead of A-Levels?
What is required by to be an officer? interview or just need the qualifications?

I did a 1 weeks work experience at RAF Wittering earlier this year at the Air Traffic Control tower and I loved it so its something i probably want to pursue. How does the RAF sponsorship to University work?

Not sure about the last one, but are you wanting to be an officer in the US military and be an air traffic control operator? Or were you wanting to go straight to the FAA level and work at an airport?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
From the thread title, I'm guessing it's the RAF the OP is interested in.

If this is the case, the careers section of their website may be of interest. Looking at that, it seems that you need to be living in the UK for at least five years immediately before your application, but there's a phone number on there that you could maybe try to find out the exact requirements for the post that interests you, iAlexG. I'm sure they'd also be able to tell you about any potential sponsorships that might be available.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
UK
Thanks. I am going back to the UK for Christamas so i may go into an RAF careers office and ask some questions.
Oh and I don't think you do need to live in the UK for 5 years immediately before you apply, thats only for a few jobs i think anyway I am a British Citizen and have lived there all my life, I have only recently moved because of my dads business.
My question was more about the qualifications needed.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
UK
Ok thanks. I am now a bit worried about that residency thing? I have lived in the UK all my life and moving was out of my hands. Surely if I am a British citizen and my parents are British citizens then living in the USA for a few years shouldn't hold me back?

thebiggm

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
Home Counties, UK
Ok thanks. I am now a bit worried about that residency thing? I have lived in the UK all my life and moving was out of my hands. Surely if I am a British citizen and my parents are British citizens then living in the USA for a few years shouldn't hold me back?

If your parents are British and you where born in the UK the 5 year residency doesn't apply. If you're keen on joining the RAF think about getting a university sponsorship from them. That way you get a degree paid for by RAF, but you've got to serve for a least a few years afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.