Anyone know of a quality 3.5" HDD IDE Case?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by paulobrad, Sep 12, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

I've got a 3.5" 500GB IDE hard drive and looking for a nice looking and sturdy case for it to use with my Mac Mini.

Something that looks like the iomega minimax drives that match the shape and size of the Mac Mini would be perfect otherwise one that people know to look and feel good.

Cheers.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

check out OWC they have nice mini enclosures that go underneath mac mini and not too expensive

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Here is one from OWC that surprisingly IS IDE compatible- when I looked I expected them to all be SATA rather than IDE to be honest. This one has both FireWire and USB and matches the Mini so seems like it would fit the bill nicely!

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/FWU2MSV2/

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Personally, I like the Macally cases.

The PHR-100AC is pretty affordable (check newegg.com). It's Firewire and USB2. I have one and it works great with Macs. One important thing to check is that the enclosure spins down when the Mac sleeps. The 100AC does ... although the PHR-100SU (SATA instead of IDE, and no FW) does not. The newer PHR-S100SUA is supposed to spin down (e-mail from Macally).

They have other designs as well ... including some that look like the Mac Pro.

ft