Anyone know of any good Math software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrono1081, Oct 16, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

My math needs are not huge so I think something like Mathmatica is probably out of the question (although I don't know I've never used it).

What I am trying to do is I have a bunch of calculus, linear algebra, trig and physics classes in college and I was looking for a program to replace my TI-86. Not only are those calculators way over priced but they look the same since I had one in highschool in the late 90s, still no backlit screen and its just a pain to work on so I was looking for a software to replace it.

Texas instruments site shows the software for the calculators which I was thinking of getting but then I thought maybe something better might exist. Anyone have any suggestions to a software that does graphing well, as well as the math mentioned above?

(Also, I know Mac has Graph Utility but I was looking for something more.)

2. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

Have you looked at Maple? That may suit your needs. I have not used it since version 11, but it is fairly straight forward and the help system is easy. Also, some math textbooks have maple supplemental books that go with them. (Stewart's Calculus is an example.)
    I assume you are a student and last time I check the student edition is $70. They haven't in the past, but they may have some sort of trial now.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you for the suggestion :) I'm looking at their site right now.