Anyone know of any websites, guides or how-to's about programming on PowerPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Jul 10, 2012.

1. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

As a relatively new PowerPC user (1 year this July), I have gained a large amount of interest in the ins-and-outs of my 'new' machines. Mainly out of boredom, I have decided that I want to learn about PowerPC processors and the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware.

Though I will likely fail and come up with nothing but pure frustration, I would also learn how to create PowerPC Applications (preferably Universal Binary for use on every Mac). With the lack of developers in favor of PPC these days, I would at least like to try and create simple Apps for myself, and if I was to become capable, for other PowerPC users as well.

I'm going to install the final version of XCode for PowerPC, but I really have no idea where I'm going with this right now. I've seen many references to programming in 'assembly' for PowerPC processor online, but I don't understand the meaning behind it.

If someone could simply point me at a website, book, open-source tools, or just share their knowledge I would sincerely appreciate it!

I've just found this short guide, but I'd love some more info!

http://flvcrunch.awardspace.us/PowerPCAppMaking.html

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

best idea would be to look for older versions of the books, stuff online tends to get updated quickly and leaves no trace of the older content. Not sure this is the best way to learn about the processors though.

3. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I'm pretty much just toying with the idea of making apps. I mainly just want to understand the G4 and G5 processors.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Most of the books for Xcode 3 should mostly apply?

As far as PPC vs intel goes, its a switch in Xcode to compile for either.

You don't need to learn PPC assembly to write apps for PPC.

If the point of the exercise is to learn the PPC architecture, consider trying a PPC Linux distribution, and checking out the source code comments.