Anyone know of good Windows forums?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by c073186, Mar 15, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I'm having some issues with a Windows computer of mine and I don't know of any good forums to ask for help on the matter. I will post the problem here but also if anyone knows of a good forum for Windows tech help I would appreciate it.

Note: this is on a standard Windows PC, not on a Mac using Boot Camp.

When I turn on my computer, I get the screen giving the options "Start in safe mode" , "Last known good configuration" , "Start normally" , etc. The problem is that no matter which option I choose, it goes to the Windows XP loading screen (not the blue login screen, the black with XP logo with the blue status bar on it) and then stays there for a few seconds and then the computer restarts. It will not get past that stage no matter which option I choose. I tried booting up from the XP CD but that was no help as I do not know how to use the Recovery Console. And the normal "Repair" (when you go into the actual setup for XP) does not appear as an option. Any ideas?

2. serega macrumors regular

I would try to find windows forums on google.
    I had same problem before. If I remember correctly it helped when I replaced memory. It also can be some other piece of hardware. Just my 2 cents.

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I'll second the 'Ars Technica' suggestion and would add neowin.net .

4. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

agree with the 'ars' recommendation.

the problem is a driver or registry issue. what have you added/changed?

i would recommend the 'automated repair' or 'inplace upgrade' which is what you started to do with the boot from the xp cd.

boot from cd, 'enter' to install, 'f8' (yeah, i read it all...), 'enter' to detect previous installations (we hope), and 'R' for the 'automated repair option' which will leave your data/programs intact, but reinstall windows.

if this works... it will reboot, run the setup screens again, and then drop you back into windows. RUN WINDOWS UPDATE. don't look for data, don't open programs, just run update. after several thousand updates, if all goes well, you will be back at you desktop with everything as was.

lots of mystery/magic involved. use the same install disc to avoid problems, unplug everything that is not required to boot, and pray to whichever deity you like best. windows is like that.

5. sadilak macrumors member

Seems to me that your RAM is having issues. Try replacing the RAM modules.

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ok, my bad. i assumed this was a normally running computer that just devolped a 'won't boot' issue which is usually related to an update or driver issue.

yes, it could be hardware related, but not likely if nothing was changed. yes, is could be the ram, the hard drive, or the motherboard, or even one of the cards installed in the motherboard if there are any.

however, any hardware failure, let me repeat that, ANY hardware failure will have cause corruption/damage to the registry. bad ram, page fault, damaged registry. bad drive, corrupt sector/file, damaged registry. bad card/hardware, boot failure, likely caused registry problems due to hardware not responding at post/boot.

so. quick easy way to check is to run hardware tests... oh wait, windows doesn't have those. or just run the 'automated repair' as above. really. if it works, hoo-ray. if not, start pulling cards, and replacing ram. or just buy a new one and save yourself the trouble.

welcome to windows. where would you like to go today? :rolleyes:

7. sadilak macrumors member

Actually, Hardware issues for windows based laptops are easy to fix. I actually disassembled my ASUS c90s and reassembled it in its entirety. Did the same for my toshiba satellite screen too. There are numerous step by step instructions available on the web. It is upto the user as to whether he decides to use the power of Google or not :))