Anyone know of impending Powerbook updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jay5782, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. Jay5782 macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2005
    I need to buy a new 12" Powerbook between now and the end of August or so. Does anyone know if there is any kind of midstream boost in performance imminent?

    I purchased my last one a few days before the processors were boosted from 867Mhz to 1Ghz. Fortunately Apple ran out of the old inventory and just delayed my order for a few days until the new ones were ready to ship, but if I'd ordered a week earlier, I really would have been kicking myself. Am I safe to order this week, or should I wait a few days?
  2. iDM macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I think if anyone knew anything about Pb updates MacRumors could eliminate 50% of the threads on these forums. But yes in the future there will be updates most people believe(i can't speak for everyone) but that the earliest we'll see updates would be in September 20-24 Paris Expo, I would think they'd wanna do one soon however for back to school. The time for them to do these back to school updates is getting less and less since most students want to get their laptops earlier then a week or two before school starts(Early Sept-Late Aug). I wish you the best in getting Pb/iBook updates soon, but I don't think it's gonna hapen in your time frame.
  3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    Anything is possible, but I agree with the first reply. I'm thinking October/November seems the best bet on Powerbook updates.
  4. jimsowden macrumors 68000


    Sep 6, 2003
    Yeah, I just got back from Cupertino and Steve Jobs told me to tell you to not buy one for another 3 months because he's gonna start giving them away and they'll have the new processors.
  5. Eevee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT

    Very funy jimsowden... :D
    Agree with iDM. If everyone knew when the updates was going to happen, 50% of the threads would be eliminated.

    If you don't really need one yet, then wait. But if you do, then get one. No matter what, there will always be updates.
  6. tsk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 14, 2004
    I'd say most likely nothing till late September.

    However, I would wait a week or so to see what happens with the iBooks. I think there is a chance that new iBooks and PBs could come out together.
  7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    Look at this thread.

    I Hope we get a Rev E by early September. I Am Betting though that we will see both the iBook and the Powerbook being update at the same time either next Tuesday, July 26, or most likely August 2. If the Powerbook is not updated by September, then I just plan on buying the current revision.
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Updated 'Books? Definitely gonna happen next tuesday! ;)
    I would wait till the end of August- they should be out
    by then (maybe :rolleyes: ).
  9. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    nobody really knows. But you would think that maybe Apple would want something out by the holidays anyway. Hopefully sooner, but like I said, no one knows for sure.
  10. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Anyone who could answer a post like this is under NDA and won't be answering a post like this.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the current PowerBooks so if you need one buy one, will there be an update? Of course! When? I didn't sign an NDA so my guess as good as anyones. PowerBook G5 next Tuesday!
  11. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    No updated PBs until late Sept. or early/mid- October. Then Intel PBs at WWDC. That's what I'm guessing.
  12. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Finally, the PowerBook G5 debuts next tuesday. ;)
    I think that I might order one....wonder if it will have a 2.7GHz G5 inside of it. ;)
  13. Hattig macrumors 65816

    Jan 3, 2003
    London, UK
    Let the new iBook and Mac Mini dominate the Apple front page for a couple of weeks, with the "Apple For Everyone - At Home and On The Go" kind of design.

    Then expect new PowerBooks to bring back the differentiation between the two lines.
  14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Sure, why not. As long as you don't mind the size and weight.

    Attached Files:

  15. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502


    Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    No no, your pic is a DUAL 2.7, I think he was referring to the single 2.7 processor. It's supposed to be .25 inches thick.

Share This Page