Anyone know of some good port plugs for iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AirForceOne, Sep 2, 2011.

1. AirForceOne macrumors member

Hi

Does anyone here use any kind of port plugs on their iPad? If so or if not, can someone recommend some good ones?

I found these on Amazon but they do not specifically mention the iPad 2:

http://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Anti-d...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315019198&sr=1-5

There are others on Amazon as well that are even cheaper(like a $1) but that makes me even more hesitant and they do not mention compatibility with iPad 2 either.

The reason I am looking at these as I have ordered the Seidio Active case. One of it's drawbacks however is no port plugs to protect against dust. I was hoping maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.:)

Thank you for any help...

chris

2. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Well I found these:

http://www.radtech.us/products/Portectorz.aspx

You have to run your cursor over the pics of the iPad 2 plugs to see how they fit. I ordered the combo 30 pin dock plug and audio jack plug. ended up being 14 bucks with shipping.:eek: Figure they're worth a shot.

I'll report back how well they fit.

3. AirForceOne, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Well since there is so much interest in this thread I thought I should update it. ;):D

I received the items promptly via priority mail. Very happy with them. I thought they would be rubber but the 30 pin port plug is a rubbery type of hard plastic. The headphone plug seems to be standard silicone. Both are better quality than what I was expecting.

I have an Android phone but in case you need it they also include an iPhone SIM removal tool in addition to the headphone plug and 30 pin port plug.

As far as fit, the plugs fit very snugly. I was worried they would be loose and tend to fall out and get lost but like I said they fit nice and tight. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the quality and fit of these plugs and I think they look great too. For 14 bucks shipped am thrilled with the look and added protection.

The only question is how will they hold up over time being removed and replaced everyday . For me, the headphone plug won't really be an issue sine I use my phone for most music listening but obviously the 30 pin port plug will be removed and replaced everyday so I will update this thread in a month or so to report back about that. Anyway here are some pics: if you want a different angle or something let me know. The 30 pin plug looks a little like it's sitting crooked but that's just the angle of the light casting a shadow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

5. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

No problem man, hope they work out for you like they have for me(so far). I'm still curious how they will hold up over time being removed and put back. Hoping they don't get loose over time with use.

6. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

I see you're using the Seidio Active on your iPad 2 :)

7. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Yup. :D I love it a lot. The only thing it lacks is port plugs. :)

8. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

So far these are still working perfect. Fit is as tight as day one. Last night when I went to bed I went to pull the plug out so I could charge for the night and the port plug wasn't there. I thought, okay, here we go, it fell out. Then I noticed it was sitting on the night stand. I'd forgotten to put the port plug in that morning. :D

9. MacBpro macrumors member

May I ask why you worry about the dust go into the ports?? will it cost any damage to the machine??

10. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

It's a possible entry point for dust getting on the screen under the glass. Plus, imo the seidio active case looks better with port plugs...it just kinda finishes it off, imo.

obviously there is no guarantee that these port plugs will prevent dust under the glass as there are other entry points such as the speaker...I'm just trying to do what I can. :)

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

As I posted above I ordered 2 sets. Got them a couple of days ago. Great service from the shipper. Anyway, they do fit nicely. I wish they didn't stick out quite so much because I can feel the headphone plug under my left hand. I don't use a case, just a skin and a sleeve when traveling. But all in all I like them and feel much more comfortable having the ports closed up because they DO attract dust etc.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

12. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

No problem man. :)

I wish I had mentioned that they do stick out some. I didn't really notice it since with the seidio active installed they sit flush or even slightly recessed. Sorry about that but thanks for mentioning it for others who read this. :)

13. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Thanks For That

Going to grab a couple of sets too:)

14. batman75 macrumors 6502

These port protectors make a ton of sense on the iPhone. The headphone socket is at the top, and in the rain, water is going to go in while you're on the phone. They also put a water damage sensor in there. It's almost as if they designed the phone to get water damage.

15. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

No problem man :) Hope they work out for you like they have for me.

I use Android and iOS devices and the one thing I REALLY love about Apple is the amount of accessories available. At least we have the option of the plugs. :)

16. glen e macrumors 68030

17. Username02 macrumors regular

If you purchase the iPhone 3g or iPhone 4 headphone port protectors, they are very flush against the device.

18. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

As has already been stated, the issue is not dust in the ports, it is dust getting on the screen thru the ports. The ports are an entry point for dust accumulating on the screen under the glass.

And the fact that radtech and other companies actually make these plugs shows that there is a demand. If we in this thread were the only ones wanting these they wouldn't be making them.

19. glen e macrumors 68030

well no, there are many products made that are not needed - hell, theat's never stopped capitalism....witness all the gas additves you can buy or the makeup your wife buys to get rid of wrinkles.

Please link me to a post anywhere on the web talking about someone experiencing "dust behind the screen"....

but have at it and good luck....

20. glen e macrumors 68030

not sure plugs are gonna solve this after reading but no matter...good luck to you...

21. AirForceOne thread starter macrumors member

Correct, there is no guarantee. It's just a preventative measure that lowers the risk, but dust can always still get in. As I mentioned, with the Seidio Active case the plugs actually look nice, so for me it's not only practical, but an aesthetic improvement as well.

22. Bob Maxey macrumors member

Hard to say. I have seen tiny bits of dirt stop a port from working. It really depends upon how careless you are, I suppose. The cheap case I currently use keeps things clean but I can imagine problems down the road.

I worry more about damage from repeatedly plugging in the cables over the life of the unit.