Anyone know or test this waterproof case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BobbyWayne, Nov 5, 2014.

1. BobbyWayne macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Since I bought an iPhone 6, I can't use my Lifeproof obviously. I was looking through the net from the current crop of released cases and this particular one caught my eye. Every page I have found it on says the usual copy/pasted sales specs but no user reviews are anywhere to be found. The price seems rather interesting, as does the design. I'm trying my luck here in the hopes that someone might have tested this case. You guys are the experts in all things cases.

http://www.casesinthebox.com/aluminum-metal-gorilla-glass-waterproof-case-cover-for-iphone-6-4-7inch-black_p27120.html

Attached Files:

2. LillyLand macrumors regular

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Anyone know or test this waterproof case?

Looks like a really ugly lunatik knockoff. I don't know anything about it, but just by looking at the description I'd be worried about the aluminum shell affecting signal strength. It also states that it shouldn't be used for swimming or be submerged, so I'm not sure just how waterproof it really is. Additionally it doesn't work with touch ID as you can see the home button is covered.

Lifeproof is saying November for their iPhone 6 and 6 plus cases, so I don't think we have too much longer to wait.

4. BobbyWayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting aspect about the lifeproof. I'll wait a bit in that case. In the meantime besides lifeproof is there another brand I should research or lifeproof is the best out there?

Thanks for all your responses!

PS: I got myself a blue Incipio silicone case with a matte finish. It's not bad. I could post some photos if you folks want, to contribute to the collection of cases here.

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I was a huge Lifeproof fan for years, ever since their first iPhone 4 case. I've had their iPhone 4/4S case, the Fre and Nuud case for the iPhone 5 and the Nuud case for the iPhone 5S. I used their Nuud case for the full size iPad when I had one and now my iPad mini 2 has a Nuud case on it.

I love having a waterproof case and being able to take my phone anywhere. I would regularly bring my phone into the pool with me and I even took my iPhone 5 to a water park and down water slides all day with no problems.

However, that said, my enthusiasm for Lifeproof is starting to wane a bit. My wife and I both had leaks with our iPhone 5S Nuud cases over the summer. Mine was pretty minor and didn't cause any problems with the phone, but hers leaked enough to kill the phone. Luckily we had purchased Lifeproof's water damage warranty for those cases, so they replaced her phone (although we had a lot of problems going through that process), but it got to the point where we no longer trusted the case. We stopped taking the phones swimming with us and started worrying a bit more around water, which was a big disappointment because, like I said, I really loved being able to do whatever I wanted with the phone.

At the end of the summer I started looking around for a Lifeproof alternative and unfortunately I really didn't come up with anything that fit my needs. There were a number of other waterproof case options, but many of them were much more bulky or uglier than the Lifeproof case and all of them had something covering the screen. One of the big things I loved about the Lifeproof Nuud cases was the fact that the screen was exposed and the case was still waterproof, but no one else makes a waterproof case without something covering the screen.

I'm still keeping my eye out for good Lifeproof alternatives and I'm pretty excited about the Lunatik Aquatik (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/taktik-360-aquatik-for-iphone-6-by-lunatik). It doesn't have an exposed screen, but the screen cover is glass instead of plastic, so I'm willing to consider it. It doesn't look like it's too bulky or too ugly either. I contributed to the indigogo campaign while it was still open so I'll be getting one when they ship (hopefully January).

The Lifeproof case should be out first (like I said above, they're saying November right now) and despite my mixed feelings about Lifeproof right now I'll still probably get one of their cases unless I can find another alternative before they arrive. Hopefully I'll still be able to rebuild my trust in the case.

I've been looking for announcements of other waterproof cases for the iPhone 6 and so far I really haven't seen any, but hopefully we'll see more options in the next few months. There definitely were a number of options for the 5S, but like I said above, I wasn't really impressed with any of them. For most of those manufacturers, though, it was their first attempt at making a waterproof case and lifeproof has been doing it for years. I'm hoping that the next generation of waterproof cases will be even better. (Although, frankly, I was a bit disappointed that the iPhone 6 wasn't waterproof or at least 'water resistant' out of the box. There are a number of waterproof android phones right now and I'm a bit jealous of them)

That post wound up being a lot longer than I expected... hopefully I didn't bore you to death:)

6. BobbyWayne thread starter macrumors newbie

BrettDS, funny you mention that, i've had the same happen to me on two different trips. The second time it was with the new replaced product that i had it happen. Did you have a screen protector inside the case with the Fre?

7. scott99 macrumors 6502a

The only problem with waterproof cases, is they have a horrible effect on the speaker and microphone. I have yet to find a waterproof case that doesn't ruin the PHONE portion of the equation. Love the waterproof technology and the drop proof technology of Lifeproof cases, I was a very early adoptor of that case. Was a pre-order adoptor of their first case ever (only black back then for iPhone 4). But I've gone to a tempered glass screen protector and Tech 21 case for my needs. Not waterproof, but shockproof and the phone sounds great.

8. BobbyWayne thread starter macrumors newbie

The waterproof aspect is the only reason i get such a case. I only use it when i got on a trip for vacation and i put the phone in airplane mode anyway. For when im not on vacation i just use a regular matte silicone case with a screen protector on top (matte) and that's perfectly suitable. Also, i have applecare+ on the phone and have had it on my previous phone. Better to be safe than sorry. Personally, i don't see the need of a lifeproof case for everyday use, unless you work in construction or for people who have butterfingers and drop everything. :eek:

9. BrettDS macrumors 65816

The leak issue I had was with the Nuud cases and not the Fre, but I've never used a screen protector on the phone with any of the lifeproof cases.

----------

I use a bluetooth headset 90% of the time when I'm on the phone, so sound quality doesn't bother me too much, but that said, I didn't really have any complaints about the sound quality on the Nuud 5S cases. I think it wasn't quite as good as it could have been without the case, but it was certainly usable the 10% of the time that I used the phone without a headset.