Anyone know stuff about skateboarding?? Board question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coopdog, Jun 10, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I have an original Tony Alva skateboard, it hasn't been drilled and is in good condition. It's the design: it's griptaped and his signature is cut out and the space that is cut out is painted red and yellow. His signature is again on the bottom in red. Do you know how much i could get for it. I couldn't find any on ebay. I heard about $400-$600 and i really want to sell it and get a new bike!!! Thanks a lot!

2. guitargeek macrumors regular

Never heard of the dude. Sorry.

I skated for about 6 years, though!! Good fun. But that doesn't help you any.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Tony Alva was one of the legendary "z-boys" from Dogtown that revolutionized skateboarding and was one of the most, if not the most, commerically successful skater in his era. It's people like him that people like Tony Hawk look up to. If you are interested in learning more there is an excellent documentary called
    "Dogtown and Z-boys" that you should be able to rent/purchase from your local video store.

Unfortunetly I have no idea how much your board is worth, sry. :(

Lethal

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I didn't know you could get skateing goods on eBay.
    Have you tried taking it to a skate shop and asking there? Or you could try contacting a company like CCS or some other mail order place if they can help.
    Do woods still go for around $60? It's been a while since I skated; 10 years maybe??
    Good luck!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have never done any skateboarding, poor sense of balance. Riding a bicycle was as far as I could accomplish.

I really enjoyed watching skateboarding at the Olympics, same principal except they used snow!

6. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

you can get anything on ebay. anything. my friend once bid on 17 deformed japanese children, i think it was a joke though. :)

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Re: Anyone know stuff about skateboarding?? Board question

I don't know about the price but selling it to get a bike is genious. I'm a bmxer, mainly street and park. Are you talking mountain bikes or bmx?

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    pop that puppy on ebay with a high reserve price and see what it does...

those old boards can bring some serious $$$ and the old dogtown stuff is especially valuable.

i had a garage sale last year and advertised that i had old boards for sale and i got some nice $$$ for them.

i sold a g&s henry hester slalom board with chris yandell wheels for over $200 and it wasn't in very good condition. i got $80.00 for an old comp aluminum board that was severly ridden...but it did have former world champ russ howell's autograph engraved in it( you get a brief glimpse of him in the dogtown movie...). sold some logan earth skis and old sims boards too for decent $$. kept my powell-perelta freestyle board and my hobie pool board just in case i ever get the urge to ride again...maybe when my daughter gets old enough to ride with me.

anyway, undrilled boards are the ultimate and tony alva is a legend so don't let it go cheap...i'd say $400.-$500. could happen if the right person wanted it. if you don't get what you want for it just keep it as an investment.

9. coopdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies. Mac13: I startred BMXing at 10 and then moved to Mountain Biking. Now I ride at the university of utah (street) and Downhill.

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yo its mac15 dude :)

I just got a new ride. Mosh Brass 3. its a beast . top quality for a nice price

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how far back was tony alva? was it back in the days when skateboards had hard wheels? he he

those really sucked...hit one tiny pebble and it's all over;)

12. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Re: Anyone know stuff about skateboarding?? Board question

I can definitly get you some prices or probably even get you a decent trade for a bike. Please send me some photos and I will be happy to do what I can for ya

and Yes. You can get anything on ebay. I actually have 3 skateboards on eBay now

-Doc

13. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

<<crickets chirping>>

Did you want my help?

-Doc

14. marlow macrumors newbie

What's the size of the board and does it have concave? If it has another brand on it other than "Alva" it would surely have higher value as it would make the board older, as would the flat or less concave board; being older as well. If you are talking about his signature as being the graphics on the board the value decreases as well as it may be a production board that never got used. Obviously anything signed as an autograph would be more valuable. Somewhere between '85-'91 he made decks that were given as trophies for AM contests. From the sounds of it yours has a routed (carved) logo. That might indicate it as a decorative deck. The older and less likely to be a production model the more money it can bring. Perhaps some postings in 'old school' skating newsgroups might bring somebody out of the woodwork that might bite. Ebay is a place for 'deals' people don't want to pay premiums if they can help it. A newsgroup might stir some flames and provide an impulse buy at your price, somebody shopping ebay is more likely to shop it hard. Cheers and good luck.
    My god these collections posts are making me feel old!

15. marlow macrumors newbie

oops just read a bit more carefully...
    There was precut grip tape available with the Avla logo. Sounds more like you've a trophy board or unfinished blank from the late '80's. Chances are that it's not going to get the kind of money you're looking for. Then again I'm the type of guy that didn't collect and keep sports cards, and gave away all my old decks when my parents moved and decided it was time for me to take them all, which was a huge amount.
    Good luck all the same, still give the groups a shot.

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I think Alva produced quite a few decks etc, so the price could vary depending on the model.

If you want to ask where there'll be a few more knowledged people, try silverfishlongboarding.com or the NCDSA forum.

17. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

Skateboarding isn't in the olympics

if you mean snowboarding

snowboarding and skateboarding are totally different i don't know what your talking about.

18. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! This thread is 6 years old!

19. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

Holy.. i didn't even notice how old this thread is.
    :eek:

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

This is what I do for a living these days, skateboards, and the right buyer will pay that. Just try and get best offer on eBay. Many skateboards, by the time of Alva's rise to fame, became fairly mass produced and depending on rarity of actual board design, you can get a higher price. PM me if you want.

What's ironic about this thread is that before I got into the skate/surf clothing and hard goods business, I had no idea and I answered here as the above poster "Jefhatfield" when that was my moniker.

A certain prototype Tony Hawk board with a design neither he nor the public liked, and thus was made in a very small amount, is worth $6,000 dollars. It could even be a one of a kind. Many 1980s decks could barely fetch $50 dollars as they were runs of very popular models and thus extremely numerous.

21. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Haha, I didn't even bother to check the dates.

I wonder if the OP ever managed to get rid of it?