Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
For white imac or aluminium at 24". Would I be able to find such a thing on ebay? Does the apple care cover it if it's say a two year old machne and it's noticeably faded? Also has anyone tried modding with a new panel?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
For white imac or aluminium at 24". Would I be able to find such a thing on ebay? Does the apple care cover it if it's say a two year old machne and it's noticeably faded? Also has anyone tried modding with a new panel?

Well, LCDs do go down in brightness over the course of time as the compact fluorescent that provide the illumination get weaker, this is one reason that the LED backlit panels command a premium, they will run for tens of thousands of hours with little to no reduction in brightness.

You would have to have it on an awful lot though to have a noticeable drop in brightness after just two years.

It is possible that Apple Care would cover this, you should call Apple about it.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Well, LCDs do go down in brightness over the course of time as the compact fluorescent that provide the illumination get weaker, this is one reason that the LED backlit panels command a premium, they will run for tens of thousands of hours with little to no reduction in brightness.

You would have to have it on an awful lot though to have a noticeable drop in brightness after just two years.

It is possible that Apple Care would cover this, you should call Apple about it.

Hey buddy thanks for the great reply. Could I just possibly replace just the fluorescent tubes?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Hey buddy thanks for the great reply. Could I just possibly replace just the fluorescent tubes?

It depends on how the panel was constructed. Most newer panels made in the last five years have the CFL units in a housing that is sort of a permanent part of the LCD itself. Not easy to get at and mess around with I'm afraid.

The other potential issue for you is that the iMac probably has specific connectors that will make it difficult to sub in a different panel, the iMac software might also not be able to deal with a different panel since there is typically a controller chip on the LCD that would talk to the host controller and video card on the Mac.

Honestly your best bet if the panel is really getting dim is bring it in to a Genius and demonstrate the problem and see if Apple will swap it out for you. You paid for the extended protection, so you should go down that avenue first.

applecultvictim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
hey jm, thanks so much, wasn't expecting such a great reply, more than I had hoped for, btw, ever catch zep live?;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.