Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
NVMe? Samsung 970 PRO? That would be sweet! Anyways, the spinner is gone! 100% gone! Just like I said they should do! They listened to me! All is right with the world :)

Spinners suck!

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Spinners suck!
For the boot drive, certainly.

My preference in the Mini is the 2014 arrangement of two drive bays: a blade for a smallish ultra-fast SSD boot drive (256GB is good), and a standard SATA bay for a cheap bulk storage spinner. The optimal combo, IMHO. Just like NUCs have.

But Apple don't offer that in the Mini anymore. :(

HalfNelson

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
I'm terribly fearful that, due to the T2 chip being the SSD controller, these flash storage drives will be proprietary at the very least, and not swappable with consumer M.2 drives like the Samsung 970 EVOs. I'm really hoping for a surprise upon the first teardown, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Oculus Mentis

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I'm terribly fearful that, due to the T2 chip being the SSD controller, these flash storage drives will be proprietary at the very least, and not swappable with consumer M.2 drives like the Samsung 970 EVOs. I'm really hoping for a surprise upon the first teardown, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's not a deal breaker though, the built-in SSD NAND Flash is pricey yes but it's equivalent in quality to the Samsung 970Pro. And thanks to the Thunderbolt 3 ports you can add X5 series Samsung external SSD, potentially as a boot device if you want to really maximise cost savings without undercooking the speed of storage. We just need a teardown to reveal just what's going on with the Thunderbolt controller(s).

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
If it was a swappable SSD, the mini would have been the perfect machine. OK, some still might complain about a soldered CPU, but own SSD and RAM upgrades would have meant an investment for 10 years ...

Reactions: Macinto$h

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2018 Mini SSDs look to be proprietary-design, soldered-in chips on the motherboard, governed by the t2.

Technically, not "an SSD" at all, but rather board-based flash storage.

Not replaceable or upgradeable.
I could be wrong. (will have to wait for a teardown from ifixit or others)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.