Anyone know what motion tracking will do?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 1458279, Aug 27, 2013.

1. 1458279 Suspended

The new phone is supposed to have motion tracking, I thought they already had apps that could follow faces, so what does motion tracking actually do?

I've heard it would allow you to answer the phone without touching the phone, so the camera must be on for this to happen.

What I'm also wondering is what will this mean to developers.

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

No one can answer this question until Apple release the new iPhone. Also, nothing is official, until Apple says it is.

At the moment, everything is just speculation and rumours.

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

It was more of a "if it were to be added" what would it mean.

Example, _IF_ apple were to add a new thing, what would it mean to developers.

It's more of what does motion tracking mean than a 'do you think it will be added'.

4. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

That's anyone's guess then. You'd have to ask some specific questions.

If there were such a thing as motion tracking I could see it working in a way that a proximity sensor picking up movements close to it and thus turning on the front camera. However looking into it I doubt it. That whole process would be so slow. Also the phone would need to be unlocked to do anything - more delays.

Not sure what you would use it for either.

For developers -

1. If the APi was available to us to use would be the first question. Just because there is a new feature - it doesn't mean we get to take advantage of it in our own apps.

2. If it were available - then it's our imagination (Sometimes skills) that would limit what we could do with it.

But again, this is all.. just speculation and it would be like asking what if Apple added an retina scanner to the iPhone. It's anyones guess as to what and how it would work.

Just wait until it's official then we will know more.

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I think your 1st point is probably the way it'll be. Something the phone does, but we don't have access to it.

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

You will probably find that point will ring true for the rumoured finger print scanner that is coming to the iPhone. Something the iPhone does - but no access to it for developers.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

If you want to be ahead of everyone else, feel free to join the iOS dev program and download the latest beta and SDK.

Maybe you'll see something I haven't (there's been a few features I'm very excited about and am throwing all my effort behind to get apps ready that utilize them).

As for the hardware, if you want to get ahead on that you need to be a rock star developer that has Apple's attention. A select few companies/developers are given access to new hardware a few weeks before Apple reveals it, thus letting them tell everyone else how easy and cool it was at the keynote.