Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
My MBP runs extremely nicely, but it seems that the GPU runs a lot slower when the notebook is running on battery power instead of being plugged into an outlet. When playing a game on outlet power I can unplug the power cable and see an instant drop in FPS (a significant one, usually down to <10 FPS), but then the problem goes away the second I plug it back into the wall.

Anyone know what setting I can change to remedy this?

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
My MBP runs extremely nicely, but it seems that the GPU runs a lot slower when the notebook is running on battery power instead of being plugged into an outlet. When playing a game on outlet power I can unplug the power cable and see an instant drop in FPS (a significant one, usually down to <10 FPS), but then the problem goes away the second I plug it back into the wall.

Anyone know what setting I can change to remedy this?

Energy saving. I don't know if you can change it in Mac OS X.

EricVT

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I've done that, even tried using "Best Performance" option.

Seems to not make a difference.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
The processors throttle down on battery power. There's no way to circumvent this on OS X. Think Different™ and keep that laptop plugged in if you want decent framerates. That, or find a copy of the game for XP/Vista.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
this is not isolated to Mac. Ive used IBMs that do the same thing.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
this is not isolated to Mac. Ive used IBMs that do the same thing.

Yeah, but you can disable it in the bios.

I don't play games on the computer, so it doesn't bug me that much, but I hate it when the dock gets all choppy on battery power even if its set to best performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.