Anyone know what this number means?

insocal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
When opening Safari in between tabs, whether in Private Mode or not, a number shows up in the parentheses down near the bottom of the screen, next to "MacBook Pro.' Sometimes, it's 4, sometimes it's 6, sometimes it's 9, etc. No idea what it means. But I don't have 'that amount' of windows open on my MacBook Pro or on the iPhone.
Anyone know?
Thanks!

Attachments

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's what iCloud thinks the name of your Macbook it. It's caused by your Macbook seeing a ghost of itself on your network and changing its name to be something different. To stop it from happening, turn off wake on LAN in the energy saver preference pane.

insocal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
That's what iCloud thinks the name of your Macbook it. It's caused by your Macbook seeing a ghost of itself on your network and changing its name to be something different. To stop it from happening, turn off wake on LAN in the energy saver preference pane.
Hi!
Thanks so much.
Not seeing "wake on LAN' as an option. Is that the same as "wake for network access?" And we're talking System Preferences on the MacBook Pro? Odd that it would be happening even while out and about with computer on/off?

Update: Tried turning off that option. Doesn't seem to change anything. Also, put computer to sleep and number is still there, and remains upon waking.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is the same as wake for network access. Once unchecked, open the Sharing pref pane and rename your Macbook to what you want it to be. Even if it is currently what you want, rename it that again. That will finish the process. It may take a week for your iOS device to change the name seen.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I always thought that was the number of iCloud Safari Tabs open on your Mac, but I never use it so I guess I was wrong.

insocal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
It is the same as wake for network access. Once unchecked, open the Sharing pref pane and rename your Macbook to what you want it to be. Even if it is currently what you want, rename it that again. That will finish the process. It may take a week for your iOS device to change the name seen.

You were right! It said the same name WITH the number in the Sharing Pref Pane. So I renamed it there. And already, my iPhone has readjusted and doesn't say the number anymore.

Thank you SO much for your help!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.