Anyone know what this number means?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by insocal, Sep 30, 2014.

1. insocal macrumors regular

When opening Safari in between tabs, whether in Private Mode or not, a number shows up in the parentheses down near the bottom of the screen, next to "MacBook Pro.' Sometimes, it's 4, sometimes it's 6, sometimes it's 9, etc. No idea what it means. But I don't have 'that amount' of windows open on my MacBook Pro or on the iPhone.
    Anyone know?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's what iCloud thinks the name of your Macbook it. It's caused by your Macbook seeing a ghost of itself on your network and changing its name to be something different. To stop it from happening, turn off wake on LAN in the energy saver preference pane.

3. insocal, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Hi!
    Thanks so much.
    Not seeing "wake on LAN' as an option. Is that the same as "wake for network access?" And we're talking System Preferences on the MacBook Pro? Odd that it would be happening even while out and about with computer on/off?

Update: Tried turning off that option. Doesn't seem to change anything. Also, put computer to sleep and number is still there, and remains upon waking.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is the same as wake for network access. Once unchecked, open the Sharing pref pane and rename your Macbook to what you want it to be. Even if it is currently what you want, rename it that again. That will finish the process. It may take a week for your iOS device to change the name seen.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I always thought that was the number of iCloud Safari Tabs open on your Mac, but I never use it so I guess I was wrong.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Same here.

7. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

You were right! It said the same name WITH the number in the Sharing Pref Pane. So I renamed it there. And already, my iPhone has readjusted and doesn't say the number anymore.

Thank you SO much for your help!
    :)