Anyone know what to look for in these car problems?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 15, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I plan to take my 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS into the shop to get serviced.

Here is the problems I have with it:

Turn signals will randomly not work, Have to press the Hazard button several times to get them to work.

Starts badly, The 1st initial start (from sitting in the garage) It starts just fine. Any minimal amount of driver (i.e half a mile to a store) and then turning the car off, coming back to start it it will crank and instantly shake and stall out. To fix this I have to give it gas the second it turns over and this has stopped working recently.

Just yesterday the starting issue got worse, now when I start it it will make popping sounds then stall. It even shot smoke up from under the hood (but i found no source for it).

I will have all of these problems addressed when i take it in, However I was wondering if any of you have had this problem on and GM and what the problem and cost of repair ended up being.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The popping and smoke make me think the timing is off, maybe the chain jumped a tooth or something.

As for the signals, maybe a bad ground or a bad multifunction switch (the signal stalk).

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Turn signal is the relay failing not expensive.

The other could be anything from bad plugs to a dodgy lead. The timing could be off.

4. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

If the Multifunction switch is bad why would the hazard button on the dash fix the problem?

Also since the wipers are on that same switch wouldn't those act up too?

----------

The Turn Signal Relay and the Hazard Relays are seperate, Why would turning the hazards on and off fix the problem?

5. A.Goldberg, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This is incorrect. It appears that in the 2001 Impala the hazard switch contains the relay for the turn signal. My mom's Audi A6 Allroad had the same problem and the same solution.

A simple google search will reveal this. The part number for the switch is 10359031.

In the Audi, the button pulled out pretty easily. It looks like you will have to remove the entire facia of the dashboard unfortunately.

As for the other issue, not entirely sure. You probably want to get that checked out as it could be a number of issues- I would guess something with fuel delivery such as fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, or something along those lines. Could also be something like the the ignition module. It sounds like it's flooding. I'd suggest looking at a GM forum. They made a zillion impalas and even more of whatever particular engine it has. I am sure your issue is not the first to be reported and may even be common.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Logic does not always apply to electrical.

Everything on my stalk for my 1998 Chevy S10 works a treat, except the wipers. The wipers function and turn on just fine but the speed settings are random most of the time. They usually wipe far faster then they are set to. I have replaced the control board for the wipers and that made no difference so i know it is the stalk at this point. I have a new one, just not had the time to put it in.

I would say have a tuneup done on the engine, the whole shabang. Plugs, wires, check the timing, new belts, and rotor and cap also. It probably won't be cheap but if the car is over 100,000 miles and this stuff has never been done it is past due.

7. MatthewLTL, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks for that tidbit of information. I honestly think it is the hazard switch/relay because everything points to it. As far as a Tuneup goes... No clue bought the car used in 2008 with 112k miles on it (it now has around 116k) the only thing we've done to it is a new battery in January of 2013 and an oil change. It has burned oil since we got it however putting in 10w40 (engine calls for 10w30) seems to have fixed that issue.

----------

I was well aware that you have to take the dash face off to do that job, the only thing preventing me from doing the repair myself is that aspect of it. I have seen videos on how to take the dash apart so it's not that I don't know how, I just really don't feel like it too much work. What GM thought of about designing this car is beyond me its a PITA to do any kind of interior repairs. Hell, even the interior lights are a chore to replace!

actually at this link it shows how to replace the switch without taking the dash apart.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Which part of the multifunction switch gets used the most? Different parts will fail at different times based on usage. It's likely the contacts/mechanism for the signals that is bad, not the wiring. Even if it's the wiring, different wires for different functions.

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

I think it's important to state all the "mods" you've made like in the car thread. If you've hacked up the wiring harness for cheesy lights, who knows what the problem is.

Honestly I'd probably just junk the car and start with a better one.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The method you have linked there looks far easier, I'd give that a shot. The dashboard removal doesn't look too terribly complex, but it's a lot of work for what you're actually replacing. Those switches can be in there pretty good, if you're unlucky then you might have to do the video method. Glad you found an easier way. It looks like that part is around $55 from a local wholesaler, so that's too bad if that is indeed the fix.

That engine problem though could be a lot of things. I'd take the money you saved doing the hazard switch (assuming that's the fix, which is a pretty good guess) and take it to the mechanic. I'd say a tuneup might be a good start though.

As an aside: Speaking of preventative maintenance (not really- but looking at your mileage) it looks like your car has a timing chain which is good news.

11. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

well its usually the turn signals that do. Don't use cruise control and not vary ofter are the wipers used

----------

I actually can get the hazard switch brand new on eBay for $15. I also have to get new rear door handles and a new driver's side mirror. My grandpa will pay for what ever needed to be done on the engine repairs he want's the car safe and in its current state it isn't and says not to drive it until it's fixed

----------

no mods to this car (other than putting 4 screws in both front and back plate holes which required drilling holes in the front bumper for the front plate.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

What no screw on brake pedal pads?

I'd be curious to know what the engine problem is once you discover it.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

so am I. I assume a complete tune up would be needed. Can't change plugs in these GMs since the mid 90s without having to fight to do it. For example to change the plugs on a S10 requres removing the driver's side tyre

14. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

And having a flex extension for the socket wrench. I just had plugs, wires, cap, rotor and belts done on my 1998 Chevy S10. I opted to have my dads shop do it, since he gets a labor discount and I can supply the parts. I did not feel like fighting with the 4th and 5th spark plugs on the truck.

15. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My neighbor told me that the issue with the Impala could be moisture due to being in the garage. He said his friend has a Chevy van that acts the exact same way. What you all think?

----------

My grandpa had to take his 98 S10 to the shop to get work done. It had a hesitation issue where it would crank for several seconds before it started. Eventually the check engine light came on. They replaced the Ignition coils (truck had 2 for some reason) the plugs and the oil. We tried to do the plugs ourselves but the A/C **** was on top of the engine. He had the 2.1L 4 banger engine cost over $600 and he sold the truck a few years ago because he was sick of the problems it had, leaking tyre, constant dead battery. the battery ALWAYS went dead and he had the dome lights all turned off