Anyone know what's up with GROWL?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Aniej, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I was about to download Growl for a friend who had yet to discover this great little application, but the site seems to be completely down.

Anyone hear of anything going on with them:confused:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yep, they're currently having hosting issues...

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

ouch, arguably one of the most unnecessary and frustrating experiences one can have.

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Until they get Leopard Mail working I am guess I can wait a bit.

5. .adam macrumors regular

You can get GrowlMail to work on Leopard.

Install GrowlMail.

Quit Mail

Input the following in Terminal and hit enter...

defaults write com.apple.mail EnableBundles -bool YES
    defaults write com.apple.mail BundleCompatibilityVersion -int 3

Re-open Mail, you should see GrowlMail in 'Preferences'.

Works a charm.

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

7. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I honestly never got the point of Growl... but I guess that's just me. :(

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

On a big screen I don't need it, but I like to know when my torrents are finished without a dock showing or Transmission itself.

I like knowing who signs onto MSN and what they say without having Adium showing, same with Skype.

Growl tells me that my QuickShareIt uploads are finished and the URL is on my clipboard without having an irritating pop up.

9. littlevish macrumors member

I use it for Adium so I don't have to have the window at the front to see when somebody has messaged me.

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I would also add that it is a great way to take a 5 second look at the email you just received without having to stop what you are doing, launch or at least open mail, and then open the message. With the amount of email I, and I am sure many others receive per day, constantly diverting attention away from the task at hand to the sound of a new mail message can be a major distraction. Growl give me a quick way to know who the email was from and its subject so you can determine whether it is a priority or can wait until later.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I have to say Growl is pretty indispensible to me. It's being used by Adium, Transmission, Cyberduck, pretty much everything. It still doesn't work with Mail in Leopard (no matter what anyone says and what I try, including the method mentioned previously in this thread) which is a nuisance because that was incredibly useful.

I can't imagine my mac without Growl. It's just one of those little things that make it a pleasure to use, along with Quicksilver.

12. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I have used those, but I guess I just prefer to open Mail to read I message... that's what I'd do anyway if I were using Growl and saw the alert...

Then again, I'm not a QuickSilver person, either.

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm trying to figure out what the point of your posting to this thread is. :confused:

I got a copy of the Growl Mail beta fix for Leopard and am finally seeing the popups on incoming mail again. I'm hoping that once the Growl site is fully up and running again they will have the new version with official Leopard support.