Anyone know what's wrong with me? (Ear Ringing/Issues)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zwhaler, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Basically, about an hour ago, my left ear developed a very loud and high pitched ringing, that is present at all time regardless of background noise, and also when I kind of scratch it, it makes a sound like I have an earplug in it. Very strange - when I scratch my right ear, it sounds normal, but when I scratch my left ear, it sounds like I am really scratching an earplug that is in my ear. In other words, my hearing in that ear is quite impaired at the moment. I haven't been listening to loud music or anything that could damage my hearing, and I just am curious if you guys know what I have.

Googling came up with some stuff, but none of it was really definitive. Perhaps an ear infection? Idk... can I get some help here :eek:

BTW - I am currently in Mexico, and it would be difficult to see a doctor (other than at the infermeria at the school I am attending, which I will visit tomorrow while at school)

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

it could be a permanent issue called Tinnitus... or it could be some type of ear infection...

my first guess would be an ear infection that is causing fluid to build up and blocking sound from getting to your ear... in most cases you body heals its self within a few days (a few very annoying days)... or in the worst case, you might have to go get it drained....

3. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Probably either a massive ear infection or a burst eardrum. That sucks, you could have permanent damage done.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Tinnitus

Edit : Actually, it just sounds like you need to clean your ears out. That sound like there is an earplug in your ear is most likely ear wax.

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah the google search came up with Tinnituses, but the symptoms for it are a little different than what I have... for example I believe the article I read said that the ringing is usually heard when no sound is present (not the case for me). and it didn't really mention any hearing impairment... just ringing.

I am thinking it's an ear infection too... I mean not really... but I don't know of anything else that is similar.

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

This happens to me quite often - it come on very suddenly, in my left ear only, accompanied by a sensation of partial deafness in that ear. It normally lasts only an hour or so, but has lasted a day. It's spooky, I know. Try getting your ears cleaned at a clini, you may have a wax build up. I think my problem maybe related to a stupid injury I subjected myself to as a kid - that ear has never really been right ever since. It tenses up and crackles under only somewhat loud noises, and will not relax until silence comes, and it's a very strange sensation.

7. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Unless it is inches in my ear... my ears are clean as I can get em (I've cleaned em every morning after my shower for several weeks now). I wish that were the case... then I would know it isn't anything serious. :(

Well, since it has lasted up to a day for you, I am hoping it will be gone by some time tomorrow. We will see...

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Are you insured in Mexico? Go see a doctor. Better safe than sorry. Besides, it could be a million things, some harmless, some not so. Speaking from experience.

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Sounds like your head might be about to explode. Yeah... Watch out for that.

10. pinktank macrumors 6502

sounds like tinnitus, you might want to set off music for awhile and see if that helps, it might be temporary

11. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I'd get it checked out to be on the safe side. About 6 months ago, I developed something similiar in my right ear, and then the next morning I had almost completely lost the hearing in my right ear. Permanently. I have about 10-20% speech recognition in that ear and I can NOT hear a phone or someone talking to me. I'm getting a hearing aide in a few weeks so we'll see how that helps.

But I'd get it checked out.

12. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Yes but if you are someone whose ears build up wax moreso than someone else, cleaning that you do at home can't fix it. At a clinic they will fill a syringe with warm water and flush your ears out until the wax comes up. The kind of deafness I experience with my ears ringing is totally different than when my ear is impacted. I get the ear plug sensation that you are getting.

RE: ringing in the ears (+ temporary deafness), I've been experiencing this for awhile now. I mentioned it to my neurologist (who I'm seeing for migraines) and she seems to wave it off. I did have an MRI done with my auditory nerve highlighted but there were no abnormalities. But do know that things as benign as ringing ears and vertigo (I was having both) can occasionally be symptoms of a brain tumor.

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

have you had any bad sinus conditions, or allergies? A lot of time, sinus will drain into one ear and causing ringing or hearing loss.

or have you been swimming lately? water down in the ear can do that exact thing you are saying.

its doesnt sound like tinnitus. thats a constant thing and it isnt as loud nor followed with that scratchy ear plug symptom you are saying you have.

go get it looked at if you can

14. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yes, I have been having sinus problems lately. In fact I am very certain that I am sick (runny nose, yellow phlegm). I am going to visit the school doctor first thing in the morning. The ringing and other stuff has remained the same.

15. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think it possible is an ear infection but do you feel any fluids coming out?

If you do, then that would be a sure sign of an ear infection or something worse but anyways, I would get that checked out. I had ringing in my ears from tinnitus to music and even hitting myself in the ear (don't ask).
    But for now, I would layoff loud noises and music until you go to the doctors and get it checked.

Which reminds me, I gotta check if I have tinnitus since I been hearing it all night but lately it's been going away since I stopped listening to music o_O... which isn't suppose to happen if I have tinnitus.

Good luck

EDIT: Ahh, now I remember how I developed a slight case of tinnitus or well a "symptom" of it... NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER PUT Q-TIPS INTO YOUR EAR OR ANYTHING smaller THAN YOUR ELBOW INTO YOUR EAR!!! Seriously, do not use Q-Tip for your ears, ever.

16. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Ear wax builds up inside your ear. You can't get to it yourself and shouldn't try . . . unless you really do want to damage your ear. Personal hygiene has nothing to do with ear wax build up. The usual treatment is simply flushing the wax out with a stream of water - but this is not something you can do yourself. Please don't try. Just go to a doctor or clinic and have it done. It's very simple and shouldn't be expensive. It takes less than 15 min. to do. (Perhaps a bit longer if they put something in the ear to soften the wax first.)

Go to a doctor. If it's just wax, it's easy to fix. If it's something more, then you need a proper diagnosis.

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Aliens are trying to contact you.
    Put tin foil on your head before it's too late...

18. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Thanks for all the replies. I have since went to the doctor at my school, and within a second at looking in my mouth she said that I have an infection. Not very surprising, since I have been coughing up lots of phlegm and crap this morning. When I asked about how the related to my ear, she said something on the inside was inflamed. Woohoo, I am on painkillers and antibiotics, so hopefully the ringing and inflammation will go away soon. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll report back how I am doing once I start to feel better :)

I'm just glad I don't have permanent problems... since the ringing is annoying the hell out of me!

19. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Spooky,

I was at the doctor's today - exactly the same problem, left ear ringing for a while now. The only relief I get is listening to the headphones on the iPod.

He said it was sinus problems due to a cold, but no infection, so I am on some meds now. My eardrum on the left is a different shape and that is causing problems, it seems.