Anyone know where the energy saver plist file is?

brodie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Since updating to lion my mac pro won't stay asleep. It appears to wake at all the times i have ever set it to sleep and wake in the past, even though it is set to no longer sleep or wake in system prefs.

I have tried everything and i'm left with trying to locate the power management plist and delete it. I have searched the web (and my OS) and can't find its location - beyond my home library plist which has been deleted time and time again.

Any help please?

brodie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Thought i would post my solution for others.

I opened up the com.PowerManagement.plist and figured the values 1 and 0 correspond to a yes and no. The only yes values I had were 'sleep on power button' and 'TTYSPreventSleep', which sounded like a good candidate.

I changed it to a zero and now my mac pro sleeps like a baby!

Thanks for the pointers prisstratton and GGJstudios

Comment

Robz

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2004
Cape Town
Hi Brodie,
do you just double click the PM.plist file and change the 'TTYSPreventSleep' to 0? i did this and it asked me to duplicate the file first, which i did, after duplicating it, i change the 'TTYSPreventSleep' to 0 and saved the file in the System Configuration folder. My computer still doesn't go to sleep on its own and when i try to manually put it to sleep the computer doesn't respond, even when i press the power button (have ticked the option in the Energy Saver prefs).
Do you have any tips?

Comment

brodie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Hi Brodie,
do you just double click the PM.plist file and change the 'TTYSPreventSleep' to 0? i did this and it asked me to duplicate the file first, which i did, after duplicating it, i change the 'TTYSPreventSleep' to 0 and saved the file in the System Configuration folder. My computer still doesn't go to sleep on its own and when i try to manually put it to sleep the computer doesn't respond, even when i press the power button (have ticked the option in the Energy Saver prefs).
Do you have any tips?
Yes duplicate it to your desktop and then replace or rename the original. You'll need admin privileges.

I should add that though this worked for a while, the issue has come back, and the integer is still 0! I think it may have something to do with my new RAM, as that's all that's changed.

Re sending it to sleep, I would delete both com.apple.PowerManagement.plist & com.apple.AutoWake.plist, and ~/preferences/byhost folder. See if that helps.
I know that my Mac Pro won't let me set it to sleep if it's gone to screensaver, I have to double press.

You can also try and reset the PRAM - restart holding :apple: option P+R until it chimes up again.

All these things are basic goto's for Mac anomilies!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.