Anyone know where to get this case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rhino89, Apr 8, 2012.

1. rhino89 macrumors regular

I saw this article on the 9to5 blog (http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/06/turn-...ook-sized-macbook-pro-with-this-awesome-case/) and that case is exactly what I've been looking for (actual product page here: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/thanko/notebookcase-for-ipad2/?scid=af_ich_link_txt)

But since I don't read or speak any Japanese, I can't figure out if I can actually buy one of these or it needs to be pre-ordered, or if they even ship to the US. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this? Or read Japanese and can help? I know that a similar product is sold here (Clam-something) but it has gotten awful reviews and doesn't look as polished and stylish as this Japanese product... any help appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

2. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link! I am shocked that it's available in the US after all...

Has anyone had any experience with it? Im assuming not, since there are no reviews anywhere.

3. MR1324 macrumors 6502

wow i'm surprised this case isn't getting more popularity. i just bought one from amazon and will be doing a review when i receive it.

4. vjacques macrumors member

it's a very interesting case indeed. it might turn out to be bulky and gimmicky more than anything though but will be eagerly awaiting your review, MR1324!

i just wish somebody would produce something along the lines of the Asus'es Prime dock, just a slim keyboard module with a hinge:

[​IMG]

but i guess that would require some modifications to the iPad's case and very few companies have enough resources for such streamlined industrial design to begin with.

5. rgr555 macrumors 6502

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

7. dietcokemac macrumors member

I would totally go this way. But there are NO amazon reviews and that seems a little suspect. Plus it has to work with the new iPad

8. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

MR1324, looking forward to your review VERY much... I think that this case has been overlooked by people and has a lot of potential.

9. sekazi macrumors 6502

That would be pretty sweet if they did that and used the magnets. Open it and it is on. Close it locks. Held on by magnets.

10. TC25, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

TC25 macrumors 68020

Doesn't support the new iPad.
    Weighs 3.3 pounds (shipping weight)
    Add that to the 1.3 pound of the iPad2, and it has the potential to outweigh a laptop.

The Clamcase for the iPad2 weighs half what this product does.
    A MacBook Air11 only weighs 2.4 pounds.

The issue with all these kinds of cases that have the iPad in the top is the base (where the keyboard is) has to weigh enough to prevent the whole thing from tipping over easily when it's opened past vertical which results in a heavy combination.

11. rhino89, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

The "shipping weight" is a totally bogus way of looking at the product. Look at the new iPad on amazon, it lists its weight as "3 pounds" as well.

Also, the shipping weight for a Macbook Air is listed as 6.4 pounds... lol

12. MR1324 macrumors 6502

I decided to cancel the order. I've read a few posts about this case not working with the iPad 3, so it would be useless for me.

13. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense... can you tell us at least if there was any indication of where the seller/supplier is located? Was it coming from somewhere in the US or overseas? Any return policies listed in your receipts/confirmation emails before the cancellation?

14. MR1324 macrumors 6502

overseas, China to be exact. I thought this product was unique in that it was made in Japan (based on reading the article). However, it seems to be a a general product that has been on the market for a while now. I actually found several listings for this product on ebay. I was able to cancel my order because it had not been shipped out yet.

After thinking about it for a while, I also realized that if I was going to buy this case, it would be the same thing as buying an 11" MBA.

15. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you still have those eBay links by any chance? Or at least the exact search terms? "iPad 2 keyboard case" yields thousands and thousands.
    You're right about the MBA comment. That's what I was trying to go for (like a MBA with touch capabilities) except on a budget (I'm a student with little money to spend on a new MacBook and had to settle for a netbook thats driving me crazy).

16. MR1324 macrumors 6502

17. rhino89 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the links. Make sure you watch some clamcase reviews on YouTube, that changed my mind about buying a clamcase. Some issues I remember was incomplete closure (the top and bottom don't close flush, there is a small gap so your "laptop" is never fully closed), a lot of added bulk (I believe the clamcase is almost 2.5 pounds), and issues with the space bar and the embedding of the keyord within the unit. Good luck! I will post a review of anything I end up buying as well.

18. TC25 macrumors 68020

Congrats on missing the point of my post. I will type slower. This case plus the iPad is heavy combination. Comprende?

----------

Posting what you believe to be true, when a simple visit to the Clamcase website to find the weight is totally bogus. The Clamcase weighs 1.2 pounds, NOT 'almost 2.5 pounds'.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've posted a question to the seller on the third ebay link asking if it will work with the new iPad.

Any rechargeable battery is going to add weight. Otherwise, you'll have to carry around double A batteries or risk having it quit working suddenly.

And unlike the Logitech fold out keyboard, it doesn't appear to add that much extra bulk.

It would be nice if it fit, and to lay hands on one before purchasing.

20. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

I want this!!! But I'll wait for a review from you guys hopefully soon!!!

21. Thecasedepot macrumors newbie

Buy from us

Http:www.thecasedepot.com

22. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

I don't see the keyboard case on the case depot.com site....