Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zwilliams07

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
Detroit, MI
Recently, I installed one of my Super Drives into my second bay, immediately I had some problems with random crashes. While I spent my time tweaking unofficial drivers and such and connecting and disconnecting it, I slipped. I lost my grip on the actual connector and my fingers clamped down and in the end, yanked out the wire from the actual connector head. Which was immediately followed by about a good three seconds of disbelief, then by about thirty minutes of obscenities.

I tried using a Y power cable splitter, but that didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get a replacement power cable for the optical drives?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Ever seen prices on replacement starters or alternators for an import car such as a mazda or toyota? That's the real ouch!

My solution for a "from parts" mac pro was SATA optical drives using a late 2005 G5 HDD power cable ( part of an eBay parts lot ).

newtech

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
You could always roll your own. Hard drive molex connectors are easy enough, the half pitch "four square" molex might be a little tricky to obtain though.

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
I have the same problem with Mac Pro! Are you ordered the cable from Applepalace?Anyone know about parts4macs cause the shipping cost for Greece is better than applepalace?Or other compatible cable from other online shops?I can't find something here in Greece and at apple resellers shop they told me after one month if i order they have the cable and my mac pro must stay at their service all this time cause this cable (922-7684 apple part) must not instal from the user but from apple service only!!!

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
No it's not the standard cable.I i scanned my corrupted cable and i upload the image here. I hope you understand how must be :(

Attachments

• Scan-071125-0003.jpg
    Scan-071125-0003.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.