General Anyone know why they made jailbreaking simpler?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tymaster50, Apr 23, 2014.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Sorry if the title sounds condescending,
    remember when you used to have to put it in DFU mode and watch blocks of text flicker on your iPhone and you had to play with the phone a little to get things working 100%? Now the program does all of the work lol.

Did the actual jailbreak process become simpler or are the teams making it more accessible?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Based on your premise, for the same reason Hot Pockets are an easier form of lunch: convenience.

I don't totally agree with your premise though as really, wasn't JailbreakMe even easier than what we have today?

3. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

isn't that the thing where you went to the web browser?
    I never used it lol.

I'm mainly just wondering why they waited until like iOS 6 or so to make it one click

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

iOS 5 had a one click jailbreak, iOS 4 had jailbreakme which was literally go to a website and tap one button. The reason the earlier ones need DFU mode was because they were bootrom exploits. BTW there was also a jailbreak me version for one of the iOS 1 firmwares.

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

the code you remember was used because it was literally altering the startup kernel of the phone. this was due to the bootrom exploit. iPhone 4 was the last that did this, and it had an a4 chip.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The first jailbreak I remember had 8 to a dozen separate procedures (for 3G)

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I don't know why they did, but I'm sure glad it happened. I remember one Jailbreak that was as simple as going to a website.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simple progress/evolution? Things improve over time, especially later versions of things when compared to first versions of them. Fairly natural flow for pretty much anything really.

9. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I think I can answer your question... The reason why jailbreaks are simpler is so that common people can actually do them.

This is what was required of someone to jailbreak their device on iOS 1 (yes I bookmarked this because sometimes I like to reminisce: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367115 Notice it is 74 steps...

10. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I hate it too. You used to be someone when your phone was jailbroken, but nowadays people are like, hey, everyone can do that :( I wish they would add at least a couple more buttons to evasi0n, you know, just to make it look more 1337 and badass.

11. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i just rejailbroke my iPad with redsn0w on 5.1.1.... wow.... the jailbreak took under 15 seconds. i'm amazed how simple a 2 year old jailbreak is.

12. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but this is quite frankly ridiculous. You jailbreak to impress people? You wouldn't be "1337" or "badass" unless you developed your own jailbreak. Until that time, enjoy the simplicity the community has.

13. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

... No. Every jailbreak alters the kernel, lmao. The earlier jailbreaks modified the bootrom of the device :p

14. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

15. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yeah, kinda. If it were harder, there would be less stupid questions everywhere.

16. Tmlfan3 macrumors regular

Ha wow. Thanks for that. Only been jailbreaking since iOS 5. That's crazy.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah...that wouldn't change.

18. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hahaha, if you had to go through a huge process to do it there would be much less dumb questions :p

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or perhaps even more.

20. ravipiero macrumors regular

I broke my power button on my iPhone 4 because of Jailbreak and downgrade using tiny umbrella. So I prefer the current jailbreak which is a simple single click.

But I agree the previous jailbreak seems more badass and people would think I'm a pro when they know I can jailbreak iPhone.

21. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone