anyone knows about cars?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, May 21, 2011.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I have a 1996 automatic 2.5 Nissan Altima that I'm planning to keep for a long time. I want to make it better by improving it's performance. Any suggestions?

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yes, don't. Performance "improvements" and long-term reliability rarely go hand in hand. If you plan on keeping it a long time, just rust-proof it and do timely maintenance on it as needed. Keep it clean on the exterior and interior and it will give you a lot of happy miles before it dies or you sell it.

3. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

^^+1

Seriously, just keep up with the maintenance if you want it to last.

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Change the oil when it gets bad. Have the transmission flushed if its a A/T. Change the spark plugs and wires every 100k or so. Make sure the timing belt is changed with in it's scheduled time (usually 90k miles or 60k miles). And as others said, keep it clean, don't drive the balls of it. It should last a long time.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Good driving habits, good tires, change the oil every 5000K, keep up with the maintenance.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Also, new brakes work wonders. When getting new tires, replace all at same time and get wheel balancing and alignment done.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I suggest a few stickers, a huge wing, and a 12" exhaust tip. That should make it faster than a Corvette. If it's in your budget, green neon lights will make it rival a Veyron. ;)

More seriously, there are not many mods out there that wouldn't effect the vehicles reliability that much. And for the ones that don't, you don't get a big HP gain from them.

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I do change the oil every due date. Is there anything under the hood that I can spice up? Does anyone know what breaks to get?

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

not sure if there's much after market support for that year Altima but I supposed you could go for a quality airbox (if you think the extra 1 hp and slightly deeper induction noise is worth it :D ).
    Honestly, like others have already said, the best thing you can do for that car is to stay on top of the maintenace. As for brake pads, I would avoid anything that has "long lasting" on the box...those will usually eat the rotors a bit quicker.

10. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

A 1996 model is rather old and it is equipped with a 2.5 L inline 4 engine driving the front wheels. As previous posters have suggested, a sensible way to go about this is do regular maintenance, hand wash / paint protection (wax, glass coating, and/or etc), and keep the "performance improvements" less intrusive (ie. tinkering around the edges).

If I were you, I would just keep a 1996 Altima clean with proper hand wash and glass coating while saving money for a performance car (such as the Nissan Z, the Infiniti G, and etc).

11. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the input! It is my first car. I will someday get my dream car--an audi or Volvo