Anyone knows how to use Passbook?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by globality, Sep 13, 2012.

1. globality macrumors member

When I start Passbook App and click App Store it will show one App (Starbucks). However after I installed Starbucks and logged into my account I don't know how to add the card into Passbook App.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Not available yet.

3. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Apps have to be updated for the functionality; don't know why Starbucks is showing up there right now :|

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

Yes, and it's too bad GM does not fix the brightness bug (the brightness gets cranked up to the max when running Passport).

5. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

That's not a bug. It's necessary for barcodes to scan, brightness needs to be high for the reader to pick up the code.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Huh? I don't understand how screen brightness would affect camera picking up the barcode/QR code.

7. IcyStorm macrumors regular

I don't know the technical/scientific reason why, but I encounter this issue all the time at boarding check-in or at Starbucks.

8. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Well just think about it, put your iPhone on the lowest brightness with a code on it, and imagine trying to be able make out all the details of the code, using a relatively basic camera. Where as with the screen on full brightness there is more contrast and the fine detail is easier to distinguish.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

I don't understand. The camera shouldn't be at all dependent on the screen. Just try taking 2 photos with a camera, one with brightness at the max, one at the minimum. I just did and they look virtually identical.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

A scanner (at a starbucks, airport, movie theater, etc..) needs to be able to see the code on your screen. Therefore, screen brightness gets turned up to make the scanning easier. Think about it, if you read a book, you need light on the pages to see the words. You don't read a book in absolute darkness do you? Same principle.

11. nutmac macrumors 68040

My iPhone's brightness is bright enough and doesn't need to be cranked up to maximum position for me to see. At the very least, brightness should be increased only when the code is shown for scanning with a camera.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It gets cranked up because it cannot know whether you are having a person/machine scan it or you are just looking at it. Therefore, to cover all bases and to eliminate people complaining "omggg passbook sucks nothing can read the code!!!11" they make it default for the screen brightness to increase when passbook is opened so it can be read clearly every time.

13. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Well the GM/Final version was just pushed out yesterday so Devs have a good week or so before launch to update the apps now that they have release build that everyone will be using.

I expect to be seeing at least 4-5 apps by launch time that take advantage of Passbook.

You just have to remember that "average Joe" wasn't supposed to have access to and be using this a week early.

A LOT of software/game companies send their beta testers and developers the final version a week or two early much like a thanks for the work, here's the finished copy.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

While I agree somewhat with you and the other posters, the bottom line is that Apple is probably not going to fix it for this version if at all… so no point in arguing.

15. outphase macrumors 65816

Don't forget that barcode scanners in retail establishments aren't necessarily cameras. Some use a laser that scans across the area to measure dark lines vs light lines. I have had more than one occasion when my phone does not scan at Target, Starbucks or the airport when my phone wasn't bright enough.

16. farawaybrothers macrumors member

Agreed.