Anyone knows if this is easy to repair..?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nkonstas, Jul 31, 2012.

1. nkonstas macrumors newbie

nkonstas

Some background:

This is a iMac 24'' Early 2008 model (according to mactracker).

The monitor itself is a replacement - the factory panel failed while the computer was under warranty and was replaced by applecare.

In the last 7 months it started developing this pattern at the top of the screen just below the camera:

[​IMG]

Any idea what it is? Is it easy to repair? (i.e. maybe dust?)

Thank you,
    Nikos.

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

If its dust, the front glass panel can be removed with suction cups. You should be able to find an iFixit Teardown of your model. Then you can carefully wipe down both the screen and the inside of the glass with a microfiber cloth.

If its something inbetween the layers of the actual LCD screen, it may need to be replaced. However, it is possible to open the LCD screen itself. I've done it on a 2010 iMac before. Tthe screen design is different from 09 to 11 though, so it may not apply. Hope this helps!

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

it is 99% sure to be dust use 2 suction cups to carefully remove glass and clean with a good cleaner and lint free cloth then replace only clean lcd screen carefully with dry lint free cloth if seen on there which i doubt. as think this prob cause top of screen not sealed enough to stop dust from blowback from fans also check vent at back top under lip clear

5. iCaleb macrumors 6502

Opening it will cause more dust specs to enter the display.

Don't do it!!!

Have Apple clean it......they have air tight rooms that are 99% dust free and they also have a special roller that dust clings to.

6. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

If its done at an Apple retail store, they don't do it in an air tight room (worked at an Apple store briefly for about 2 weeks as a part time gig). They'll use a lint roller that is the width of the screen that's about it.

7. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

codswallop or bull. i take mine apart about every six months to clean out dust and pet hairs as wife has 2 cats chinchillas dogs, plus i smoke which makes for dust stick better. only real tools needed are lint free cloths or even better antistatic lint free cloths and 2 suction cups to remove glass. i use 2 rolson 55mm dent pullers cost about £3.50 at maplins and does job just fine with no probs..

8. nkonstas thread starter macrumors newbie

nkonstas

Thank you all for your replies - I'll get some suction cups and try to clean it myself.

Cheers,
    Nikos.

9. BSoares macrumors regular

Isn't the 20/24" iMacs glued instead of held by magnets? I know the 21.5/27" ones are easy to open and close again but I think the older ones aren't as easy... I could be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

10. nkonstas thread starter macrumors newbie

nkonstas

No idea - I'll try and find some tutorials on youtube and see if it's easy to remove the glass.

Cheers,
    Nikos.

11. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I have an early 2008 24" - the front panel is definitely held on by magnets. I've taken it off many times.

12. ivnj macrumors 65816

Might be the background blending with the bar. Transparent background.

13. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I used to work as an Apple Tech and pulling the front glass on these is not hard. Getting them back together without any dust under the glass was the biggest SOB. Take it to apple unless you are okay with having even more dust spread around your glass.

----------

Any iMac that is aluminum will be held on with magnets. White iMacs the entire bezel uncliped to access the LCD. None of them have ever been secured by glue.