Anyone like the new trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdiosVista, Oct 20, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm slow on the learning curve but I tried out one of the new MBP on display and could barely navigate using gestures. For example, simply scrolling a page seems much easier on my previous gen laptop. I understand it is something that I would probably get used to after working with the new machines for any period of time but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

It take some getting used to, but I am getting there.

3. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Let you know by end of tonight. Picking it up in 2 hours :D

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The only thing I'm having to get used to is the availability of the new gestures. The two finger scrolling, tapclicking, and two finger tap right-clicking have been staples for me for a long time and all that stuff works as it always has.
    Overall, there's no real transition necessary.
    The extra real estate on the new pad is also a plus.

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I think it has a better feel. I also really like the four finger swipe. I just really hope that they utilize gestures more.

6. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, glad to hear the good response, I'll definitely have to get used to the new style though. I'm sure some astute reader will just supply another google search results link but I'll ask anyway: do most programs support gestures? For example, can I use all the new finger movements in Photoshop?

7. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Install a system preference pane called MultiClutch: http://wcrawford.org/2008/02/28/everytime-i-think-about-you-i-touch-my-cell/

It allows you to assign different gestures to perform keyboard shortcuts. It works at least on previous MacBook Pro, not quite sure about the new ones. But I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

8. akashhhhh macrumors member

I think that it's cool that in Vista:

1 finger: left click
    2 finger: middle click
    3 finger: right click

9. Empyre macrumors member

It took some getting used to for me as well, but in about a day I was using the new trackpad gestures like a champ....The 4 finger gestures are really awesome, along with the 3 finger swipes for navigating web pages....I love the new trackpad

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is middle click?

11. kyleaa macrumors regular

Without third party intervention (such as MultiClutch as mentioned above), apps need to be specifically programmed to support gestures. Adobe CS4 includes gesture support, earlier versions do not.

12. ageha macrumors regular

I don't like that you cannot click at the top area of the pad.

13. isethx macrumors regular

14. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

I agree, it feels better. It was very a welcoming learning curve. The pressing action feels positive, but no too stiff. My "Old" MBP trackpad button is very stiff and clunky.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

You essentially can't. If you press hard enough at the top you will succeed in getting the lower part of the pad to move, thus clicking, but I think the top is where the mechanism is hinged. If you do what many have always done and use your thumb to click on the lower (or middle for that matter) part of the pad, you'll be fine.

16. ageha macrumors regular

Right and because you have to use two fingers anyway and don't see the benefit of this idea.

17. twotontito macrumors member

I just got my MBP tonight and I absolutely love the new trackpad. The more you get used to the new gestures, the more you learn to love them. I am bouncing around different applications really easily using the four finger gestures. I love the size and feel of the pad too. The only bad thing is that clicking the top of the pad is essentially not an option.

18. tnhick macrumors member

I also like that if I leave my thumb at the bottom, like I always have left it when there was a button, that the trackpad doesn't recognize it as a second finger, and so it acts just like a trackpad with a button, with the exception being I have bigger trackpad area if I need it. Overall I think it is great:)

19. snake101st macrumors regular

Best trackpad Ive used, and the multitouch is very responsive. I might be a weird one, but I find myself tap clicking instead of clicking the pad down (which I usually do anyways, even on laptops with buttons); I find the loud clicking distracting, and also avoid doing it when in uni classes. I also really appreciate the extra space, which takes over the useless (imo) buttons. The texture is amazing, as well.