Anyone looked at "Back to My Mac"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jul 2, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

Anyone looked at "Back to My Mac"? This is part of Mobile Me and allows you to access your files from anywhere. This combined with Mobile Push is going to put Apple so far ahead of the competition that it will take years to catch up. I am going nuts waiting for the iPhone 3G and Mobile Me.

2. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

i immagine that wont work with the iphone though..

the back to mac thing.

wil it work with windows though?

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's already in .mac. Never got it to work myself... it needs firewall configuration and I've never been particularly bothered enough to work out what ports it needed (and exactly how it's supposed to work with multiple macs).

gotomypc is better for this - works without modifying firewalls (there's supposed to be a mac version according to someone I know that's used it a lot, but I can't find it on their site..)
    Failing that there's logmein, which definately has a mac version - again works through firewalls.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

back to my mac works fine between my MacBook and iMac. I don't really use it. I used it once when I was at my parents to show them it was possible. :p I am trying to convince them to make the switch.

5. BufferOverflow macrumors newbie

BufferOverflow

Has always worked great for me, allows the share screen feature of Leopard to work seamlessly over LAN or Web; and very useful for grabbing the odd file you might forget.

I think the only feature missing is being able to use it from another mac on which you don't have an account. i.e if I got to my friend's house I'd love to connect to my mac from theirs.