Anyone looking at cost differences for switchin to iPhone now that it is affordable??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMan112, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

I was trying to figure out the cost difference of switching from my Verizon $39.99 plan to iPhone.
    Staying with Verizon for 15 more months will cost $698.40. Owning an iPhone for the next 15 months including the early termination fee and cost of the phone with the $59.99 plan costs about $1527.40.

This is a $829 total extra cost other a 15 month span. Sticking it out with Verizon, I could go out and buy a iPod touch and still have $500 in my pocket. :confused: Not sure what to do.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Is having your media player and phone consolidated into one device worth $500?
    Remember that the iPod touch has Safari as well.

4. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Another way to convince myself... $500 over 15 months comes to about $33 a month, which isn't too bad.:)

5. aerospace macrumors 6502a

if you sign up for at&t and get a free phone first, you can sell that and easily pay off your early termination fee. most likely you can get 200-250 for a blackberry or something similar on ebay. if you really want to save some money you can go the prepaid route which is 29/mo+20 for data, its less minutes but if you dont use a lot its a cheaper deal. prepay also means you dont have a contract to worry about.

...my 2 cents

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

7. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

I think the iphone will not be updated for 2 years, it seems it was used for the introduction of the ipod... I say wait, i have an iphone and its all a matter of money. If you can swing losing the 500 then go for it;) otherwise save your money...:D

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

If you really want it now, just get the iphone and use as the touch (ie - dont get any voice plan through ATT yet)

Personally, Im still in contract with Tmobile for another 9 months or so. I had a Blackberry data plan on my line with them that cost me $20 a month. I chose the cheapest ATT gophone plan, added iphone data, then cancelled my Blackberry data. My "net" difference in cost is $29.99 a month.

Since I was going to be paying $20/month to Tmobile for data anyway, applying that to the data plan for the iphone is a wash. So my only cost difference is the voice plan.

9. ehoez macrumors member

keep your money, open an ING direct savings account, and save your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

10. airfang macrumors regular

I think Apple released iPod TOUCH just for potential buyers like you, I am not kidding.

11. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

if you have the money, buy the iPhone. Its better than having two devices crammed in your pocket.