Anyone Love Leopard Just The Way It Is? I do!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by a1dipship, Oct 30, 2007.

?

Anyone Love Leopard Just The Way It Is?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. a1dipship macrumors regular

After years of tweaking ive finally come to the end of all the silliness.

I am actually happy with Leopard the way it is. Sure, there can be small things that could be improved or brought more to my liking - but right now im just very happy to have an operating system that is more or less 'great'.

I even like the transparent menu bar!!!!!! :D It took acouple of days to get used too but i like it very much now.

I LOVE spaces (and the mail notes) - perfect! Best thing ever. And the new finder. And even time machine is great - and will be better once you can start a backup manually without changing disk option. .Mac syncing works proper it seems with preferences and things dont disappear from the menubar like before. everything seems to work proper now.

I have no feeling to add 3rd party software to change what is already included. And this way i never have to worry about potential glitches.

Maybe im easily satisfied but i like Leopard the way it is!! It does what i need it to do and thats all that matters!

:p

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I really love it!!!! i still don't have it, but i'm satisfied, i find many people complain too much. i like it!, but it's nice that apple let us (maybe not on purpose) to edit the dock very easy!

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

do you like the new flat folders with embossed colorless icons. Don't you find them harder to read. and do you like that stacks doesn't give you the option of the older heirarchical view as well as the fact that it shows the first item when docked rather than the drive or folder it represents, which gets confusing if you put you apps folder there and see the address book or your home folder but see the desktop folder or your hard drive and see its first folder?

4. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i do!!

5. stuartmingay macrumors member

Icons: yes
    Hierarchical view: my machines are too slow to allow me to use this in Tiger
    Stacks: I have the ability to read the word that appears above my mouse

Stuart

6. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yeah, I think there are tweaks that can be done and options added but generally speaking I think it's great.

BTW I get no transparency on my old Powerbook *shrug* (I do on my new iMac)

7. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Why can't they just fake it for older hardware? Just add some opacity in a copy of the JPG at the top x pixels of the image and use that as the menu bar bg.

8. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Not sold on the shelf dock from the pictures or the transparent menu bar, but the thing about Apple is that products that look great and work great on a day-to-day basis never quite look as good as they should online. I mean, I know that their website is very slick, etc. but until you sit down with the stuff you don't really get what they are trying to achieve. My father-in-law saw my Alu iMac the other day and said nice screen can I see the computer - I of course told him that he was looking at it. So many people cannot seem to get over the hurdle that Macs are not normal.

9. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm not too picky. I like it just fine. I don't have any major issues.

TS

10. paddykev macrumors member

paddykev

I'm happy with the improvements and the new features just not overly keen on the new menu bar and dock view but it will grow on me no doubt. I honestly loved safari with the metal look and thought it was perfect but i understand the reasons for updating just hoping they'll be new programs to change the gui again back to the old tiger look then i'd be 110% happy.

11. todd2000 macrumors 68000

You can do that now! Ctrl+Click on the Time Machine icon in the Dock, and click "Back Up Now."

12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Change the GUI back to Tiger?!?! Thats crazy talk! You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. :). All kidding aside, I didn't realize how stupid the "Brushed Metal" looked, until I didn't have it anymore. Leopard looks MUCH nicer.

13. a1dipship thread starter macrumors regular

thank you!!! :D

i guess there will be a few more of these over the coming months - little things that i hadnt noticed/found.

and there is very little i dont like about the way everything looks. i love it - its very refreshing and makes me want to use my mac even more!!!

It could be said that im high on Apple!! :)

14. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Lack of support for the Airdisk...just one thing that came to mind.

So nope some things still need to be fixed.

Voted no.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Very happy.

Ars Technica just gave it a glowing review, too.

16. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Leopard is fantastic, there are some minor quibbles, but overall it is a great improvement over Tiger and I'm very happy with it!

17. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

Tis Great

I have to say that I like the big cat just as it is...

Sure there are a few things that you wonder about, however when you stop and think, most decisions are thought out to make things simpler and easier. I fell in love with the dock when I first saw it and I really don't know why people complain so much about it!

Most of all I am impressed at how polished the .0 build is. Apart from Skype (which is a weird one), I have had nearly zero problems at all, and everything is faster (and more stable with the new Finder).

Jump on in, the water's fine.

18. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Love it as it is, but after reading through the modified dock thread, i'm probably going to change the color and appearance of the dock, keeping the shelf look though.

19. milo macrumors 604

Generally positive, yes. Glowing, I wouldn't characterize it as that since there were plenty of big complaints about the user interface, particularly the dock, transparent menu, window behaviour, stacks, new icons, etc. He definitely wouldn't vote yes on this poll, although he was generally positive.

And I'd agree with almost all of that review. Great OS overall, but some annoyances that really REALLY should get fixed. Some probably will, but many probably won't. At least some can be hacked, I've already changed my bottom dock to look like the 2D side dock and will likely turn of menu transparency when there's a simple enough way to do it.

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

True, but the interface etc. can be altered (icons? Gone in seconds), but Leopard itself as an Operating System is very powerful and refined, and i feel AT did indeed come to a highly positive conclusion over it. I don't really care if they didn't like the dock or whatever, because for me that isn't the OS, that's a sightly misguided step in the GUI department that could be changed.

21. milo macrumors 604

Some can be altered without hacks, some with hacks, and some not at all.

That review is definitely more positive than negative, but there are definitely enough downsides that "glowing" would be a mischaracterization. Especially in a thread called "Anyone Love Leopard Just The Way It Is? I do!!" And especially when you decide that it's "glowing" by ignoring the parts you don't agree with.

By the way, that is an excellent and balanced review. People should read it for themselves.

22. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Oh, come now, that's the most positive Apple review from Ars technica for a long time. Maybe 'glowing' was too strong, but aesthetics aside, it was largely extremely positive. And yes, it was a good review, everyone should read it.

And i stand by what i said- GUI faults such as dock/icon complaints worry me little compared to the engine beneath the bonnet. ZFS support in 10.5.3 and we'll be rolling.

23. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i do not understand why people are complaining so much about leopard... its amazing the way it is.. for god sakes it only 10.5.0 still you have to deal with some of the bugs (if you are complaining about them) until the updates come out.. stop COMPLAING:apple::apple:

24. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I too am happy with it.

I booted into a Tiger partition just now and I must say that I was shocked at how old it looked. Even though I've only had Leopard since Friday. The transparent bar is awesome. It makes the desktop so much nicer to look at. The dock I didn't like at first, but now I think it looks great. I see it as a nice shelf coming off my MBP. The new appearance is great.

25. milo macrumors 604

Wow, you're actually saying that it's OK for you to say nice things about it...but the people who disagree with you should just shut up?

:rolleyes:

If you don't like the complaints, don't read them. This thread is basically soliciting opinions, poll and all. Of course those voting no are going to give reasons.