anyone make the switch from VZ to ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cavtma, May 26, 2008.

1. cavtma macrumors newbie

I'm hesitant to make the leap for some reason. I'm in no way loyal to VZ but just feel rather comfy in my phone plan. Anyone have positive or negative feelings about having made the switch for the iphone?

ALSO - after the phone is activated - how much storage is really left for ipod-like uses?
    thx for your help

2. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I tried to switch but had to go back to VZ because of the reception in my office.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I did. Verizon was a nightmare, of course, to get out of but I did and with NO termination fee. As of right now I sold my ipod and cell phone in preparation for the iPhone. I do not have at&t yet, so I can't compare the two right now. So now is just the waiting game......

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I made the switch last year, although not for an iPhone. In general, reception is as good (in Northern Virginia) as I had with Verizon, although reception in my house sucked for a couple of months until they erected a new tower nearby. Billing's a bit cheaper, the Bluetooth functionality on my phone isn't gimped, and in general I have no complaints.

Hell, it's almost worth it just to escape Verizon and their awful, kludgy, horrible unified interface.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Everything. Why would Apple let AT&T take over their phone with worthlessness?

6. ibglowin macrumors regular

I switched and happy I did!

Made the leap back in October. I was hesitant at first with all the claims of poor coverage an poor service blah blah blah. I live in northern NM. Verizon is huge in these parts. I had to use an address in Santa fe 30 miles away to activate as there are no ATT towers in my area. Guess what, I get 5 bars from the Verizon tower 1 mile away. It took less than 5 minutes to port my number and activate my iphone via iTunes. Went perfect. Very happy with everything especially the phone.

My wife who is (was) still with Verizon just had the last straw a few weeks back. She was up for a new phone so she went into the Verizon store and after wading through the 100 or so people in the store on a Saturday and putting her name on the list got someone to help her 1 hour later. She came in to get a new colored enV. She had the original silver enV and wanted a green one. Guess what. She was told she would lose all of her ring tones, music videos, everything. Nothing would transfer. She has "purchased" about $100 worth of tones and videos and now it would all be lost. No way to transfer any of it even if its to a new phone of the same type.

She was pissed. We drove over to the ATT store and and a really nice sales lady waited on her immediately, showed her almost every ATT phone and she walked out with a new Sony Ericcson 580i and loves it.

Verizon thinks that since they are the "goliath" in this neck of the woods they can do whatever they want to including screwing people out of transferring the tones and music they "purchased", not "rented". Well that business model just backfired big time on them.

We are now on the ATT family plan (with 2000 rollover minutes!) and our daughter out in LA is waiting for the new iPhone and we will all be on a ATT family plan.

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I'm a sucker for a new phone, about every year, which doesnt exactly work into ANY carriers "2 year plans". Also, cell phones, at least for me, last only about 1 year and 9 months, which also doesnt work into the whole 2 year plan. (batteries start dieing, buttons stick, something breaks, etc).

When I was with Verizon (was with them since they were Primeco), they wouldn't let me sign up for a new 2 year contract (and get a new phone) when I had phone issues early in one of the contracts. They told me to go to a pawn shop and buy a temp junk phone until my contract ran out. "F" them. Thank God, I could bring the phone number I've had for 11 years, with me when I left them.

I went to cingular (now Att) and signed up for two years, got a new phone, and if I needed to get a new phone (ebay etc) they were switchable via sim card. Verizons phones were not. I love having two or three phones to switch from and keep the same number.

Unfortunately, I cant switch sims with the iPhone, but oh well. Guess Im stuck using this! I love it, so it doesnt matter to me. I just use my other phones with my other phone number/sim.

8. ski2moro macrumors 6502

While I was waiting for the new iPhone, my Verizon phone died. I made the switch to ATT and have a Sony Ericson W580i as my temporary phone. (Planning to eBay it when I get my iPhone.)

I think that Verizon's commercials have convinced people that Verizon has better coverage. I live in upstate NY and have made a couple of road trips since switching. I found equal coverage to my old Verizon account.

The internet connection on my AT&T account is significantly faster than the Verizon ever was.

I was hesitant to get AT&T at first, but I am satisfied.

BTW Verizon Wireless called and asked me to come back. Their best offer was 2 months of free service and 2 free phones if I came back. I told them that when they get the iPhone, I would consider it. She tried to tell me about the Voyager. Right.

9. Pantocrator macrumors member

Wrong. He is asking how much space is left after the format. I don't own one, so I don't know, but I would suspect probably 500 mb are used for formatting, so you have 15.5 gigs of SSD space on a 16 gig. The "worthlessness" you speak of is actually the OS, which I don't consider worthless. It does take up space.

10. yojimbo1 macrumors member

I live in NYC-----switched from VZ to ATT 3 months ago because I wanted the iPhone.

No problems with ATT or the iPhone---I'm very happy that I switched.

11. neven macrumors 6502a

My wife switched when I bought her an iPhone. The process was predictably frustrating (guess if she got two more bills after she cancelled it - just guess).

Coverage-wise, there's no difference. The plan is about $20 more (she didn't have data before, so that makes sense) except AT&T's fees etc. are somewhat lower. Haven't had any problems with AT%t yet she'd have to contact them about. It's been about nine months.

Switching to the iPhone from the crappy Nokia she had was great, and she'd have probably done it even if the service wasn't as good, just to get the phone.

My 8 GB iPhone reports a capacity of 7.27 GB. Another 200 MB is spent on "Other" data - I'm guessing contacts, calendar, notes, bookmarks, settings, etc.

12. Amblinman macrumors regular

First and foremost, the only way to truly know if switching carriers will work for you is to try out the carrier you're switching to. No matter how much positive feedback I got from folks, unless I can see for myself if my coverage and call quality was the same, I wouldn't switch services.

I switched from VZW to AT&T almost a year ago to get an iPhone and I've been pretty happy. I get great coverage, call quality is almost as good as VZW (I think CDMA will always sound a little better than GSM), and the one area I was warned about has been a pleasant surprise - AT&T's customer service. They've always been really courteous and helpful whenever I've called.

13. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I did... paid 175 cancellation fees last year. Not had a problem with ATT. They even refunded me edge charges for 2 months since they had problem for like 4 days:|

14. phatcat macrumors regular

Out in the western burbs of Chicago my iPhone has better reception than any of my older VZ phones. Plus I love the rollover minutes!!

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Why did she get two bills? The porting process immediately terminates the account at Verizon and the only bill she should ever have received was her final bill telling her to pay up to finish things off.

16. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

I had Verizon for 2 or 3 years and when people asked, I told them Verizon was good and that they had given me no reason to switch. So then iPhone came along and the fact that Verizon didn't have it was the reason they gave me. So I switched and have had no problems with AT&T. Reception and all that is fine most of the time. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not what you'd call a 'power' user, and also I live in a very well populated area in central NC, so we have plenty of towers almost everywhere I go. As far as the business side, I've had no reason to even contact AT&T, aside from the original activation problems. I get the bill online, click a couple of things to pay it, and generally never have to even think about AT&T. The bill is exactly what I expect every month, and as a matter of fact, it is only about $15 more than my Verizon bill was, despite the fact that I had to add that $20 data plan. Rollover minutes are great for some people I'm sure, but I'd be better off if I could box 'em up and resell 'em, as I have almost 5,000 built up currently.

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I can't say I was ever dissatisfied with VZ. Overall my experience with them was great. AT&T had a lot to prove to me, I had them in years past, out in the Boston area, a 3G phone actually, and very unimpressed with their coverage, reception and service. Of course the lure of the shiny iPhone was enough to make me give them another try, and I have to say, I've been pretty pleased so far. My bill is significantly cheaper, I have a family plan with my lady with more minutes than on VZ at a cheaper rate, so I'm very happy. Texts are much cheaper also. I live in Ann Arbor, but just outside of town it gets to be the boondocks and I found my VZ phone had better reception out there. Actually, overall I felt like VZ's reception/coverage is better than AT&T's, but not enough to deter me.

So, I have to say, on my second run with AT&T, I've been quite happy with their customer service, their rates, and their coverage.

18. SpankWare macrumors regular

I switched back in September after being a loyal and vocal customer of Verizon since they were GTE Mobilnet here. Once I had a neighbor confirm sufficient coverage at home I switched to the iPhone. Shortly after that AT&T lit up a new tower and my signal rocks at home. Got my wife an iPhone in December and we are both loyal AT&T customers. I travel with my iPhone and I get a great signal eveywhere so far. I love finding earlier flights home on the trip from the rental car return to the terminal. Posting this from the car dealership while I get my oil changed. Couldn't be happier to have left Verizon.

19. neven macrumors 6502a

Oh, of course. When she got the first post-cancellation bill, they said there was a mistake in processing her termination. Then the final bill arrived which included this previous bill so she had to call again.

Now guess if they asked her those two times if she would consider staying with Verizon, or perhaps referring a friend or family member.

P.S. She didn't transfer her Verizon number since we had also moved around that time, so she got a new, local number with AT&T.

20. liquidlink macrumors member

I was with Verizon for 7 years and I switched about 3 months ago. I waffled at switching for about 1 year. I loved Verizon's Service. After posting the same question on this forum and other forums and I got all types of opinions. I am not an iPhone user yet, I use a Blackberry for Business and Personal (will probably make iPhone my Personal phone when 3g comes out).

I went to AT&T and new service. You have 30 days to try the service. If the service was what I wanted then I would port my number over. I used the AT&T phone and the Verizon phone and the signal strengh was pretty muhc the same ofr me. I live and travel around Chicago. Just before my 30days I ported my number over and it has been great.

The rollover minutes are nice and with Insurance coming in the next couple of weeks on Smartphones (except iPhone) all is good.

Basically AT&T and Verizon and the 2 largest cell providers. Get a phone and try the service, it is sucks then stay with Verizon. Everything depends on where you live.

Good Luck