Anyone making a list of Universal apps with PPC installers?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AppleDroid, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

I cannot seem to find a list of Universal or Intel apps that still run a PPC installer. I'm actually surprised there isn't a sticky yet.

It's been mentioned that Office 2008 is among the "updated" universal apps stuck with an ancient installer but there are several other apps I use regularly such as Billings 3 and NEC Spectraview II on my Mac pro and i1Match with an i1Display 2 for my macbook pro that are mission critical.

2. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

MathType is one of them I think. It requirers Rosetta when installing it but when installed running as Universal.

3. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I feel that somehow, someone, somewhere, is going to make a sudo workaround for rosetta in Lion.

4. AppleDroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope so because while I understand it's my issue with using old software (even though 1 version "old" seems silly) but without calibration software there is no way I can move to Lion.

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Billings doesn't need rosetta to be installed

6. graubereich macrumors newbie

That would be so great......
    Freehand...... i need it!

7. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

possible workaround for office 2008

To the OP:

I was also wondering about this. It hadn't ocurred to me until I saw your post that office 2008, which I bought right after release with my current computer (which is only just 2 years old) can't be installed on lion due to the rosetta installer. I was like wtf! Totally killed my anticipation for lion.

But I looked around a bit and I found instuctions for snow leopard on how to install office 2008 via the terminal without using rosetta. I don't have acess to a developer preview. If anyone is using lion can you confirm that these instructions work on lion? I was planning on doing a clean install of lion on the second partition of my hard drive and gradually migrating to that partition as long as everything is functional but if I can't get office 2008 installed then it is a no go. That is literally the program I rely on for everything:(

Here is the link:
    http://www.lifeintech.com/blog/2009/8/29/install-office-2008-without-rosetta.html

8. haravikk macrumors 65816

Why aren't these programs using normal installers (which should be openable on any OS X version)? I know the OS X installer has a few annoying niggles, but it can be used to make perfectly good installers with only a minimum of swearing, I can't see the benefit of using an installer tool that produces a PPC binary?

9. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

The first Starcraft uses Rosetta to install, but I doubt anyone really cares haha.

10. AppleDroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome there is hope then. I agree that is one thing I cannot do without and there is nothing in 2011 that is worth the $200 it would cost to upgrade both of my machines for.

Right now Office 2008 and i1Match software (for my i1 Display2 puck) are going to hold me back. Sadly X-Rite said outright they are not updating it so that's a huge problem.

So sure Lion only costs $29 but after I upgrade to Office 2011 ($200) and a new puck + software for calibration ($150-200) Lion is going to be the most expensive upgrade ever.

*Note: I know it isn't Apple's fault directly but these 3rd parties that refuse to keep up with the times.

11. AppleDroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because companies like X-Rite are lazy and want us to buy new expensive hardware/software.