Anyone making an appointment to try on the Edition?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bunnicula, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

It occurs to me that if one made such an appointment, one could examine the Edition while also trying out some SS models. It appears that those are 30-minute appointments. I'd think this would be more desirable than a 15-minute appointment.

I'm probably fine with a 15-minute appointment myself, but I would like to take a look at the Edition to see what Apple may have concluded to be worth the difference in price.

Thoughts?

2. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I would, but I don't want to be "that guy" who wastes employees time without any intention of buying one.

3. leeingham macrumors 6502

Employees aren't on commission anyways so doesn't matter (I would know I was one 6 months ago)

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

True, but it's the principle of it. I would be wasting other customers time as well.

5. 123playcard macrumors newbie

Dress up, put the :apple: Edition on your wrist, take a snap shot and share on Facebook :p

Then ask for a SS to try and buy hopefully

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The Edition display/try on will be segregated from the SS and Sport. So you would probably need a different schedule for the SS/Sport.

However I bet if you buy an Edition they would let you 'cut' over to add a SS or Sport as your backup.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The bold part is the meaningless part to the average customer. It's priced such that the nouveau riche finds it attractive for showing off their wealth (especially considering the fact that it'll be obsolete in a few short years).

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm gonna go in wearing bummy, day-old, wrinkled clothes, holding an oily bag of McDonald's in one hand, and ask them to try on the rose gold Edition.

9. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

Then belch loudly and tell them you just won the lottery and have money to burn. You'll be treated like royalty.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Or I'll be standing with my assistant Beverly who will be speaking to the Apple staff on my behalf and placing the various samples on my wrist, all while I'm being served caviar and wine by my butler Jarvis.

11. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Good point if Apple had commissioned salespeople. I'm pretty sure nobody minds heading into a jewelry store and spending a little while at the Rolex counter without any intentions of buying a watch and their sales staff ARE on commission. ;)

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Oooo.

This reminds me of back in the early '70s, when two college friends of mine decided they really wanted to test drive a DeTomaso Pantera.

IIRC, these exotic cars were priced at about $10K back then, which was over a year's pay for many people at the time. Certainly hugely more than a college kid with less than $100 to their name could afford :)

Anyway, they put on their Sunday best, borrowed their father's gold watches, and managed to talk the local Lincoln dealer into letting them take a Pantera out alone for a ride.

After blasting up and down the highways at over 100 mph for a while, they brought it back and declared that they found the suspension too stiff.

When I first heard about Edition appointments, this was the first thing that came to mind... wondering how many people would set up fake appointments!

Hmm. Wonder if Apple will be smart enough to run a credit check FIRST :D

13. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

:eek: shoot an video with it :) lol im sure someone on youtube would do something like you said and post it and get tons of views :cool:

14. ttexxan macrumors regular

15. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I heard some stores were doing credit checks before taking appointments for the Edition try-owns. Makes sense to keep the riff-raff out... :cool:

16. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Good point. Which other customers? The huge line of people waiting to buy the Edition?

Is it okay if one can afford an Edition, but is currently of the opinion that the Edition isn't a good buy?

Perhaps one could be swayed by an appointment to try it on? If not to buy this one, to consider it when a future generation is released, maybe?

This is a thought exercise for me.

----------

Most people who'd make an appointment to try it on could probably pass a credit check. Or are carrying a platinum AMEX (or the equivalent). They may not, however, be willing to buy one at the moment.

I did want that Rose gold until it cost as much as an economy car for my 17yo that needs a car this summer. That put it in perspective, as I don't think that (at the moment) the Rose gold Apple Watch is worth a 2015 Honda Civic.

I'm of the opinion that it's worth a 15yo, used Civic in good condition with low miles, though. ;)

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Therein lies the conundrum. It's never going to be a good buy as it's priced in such a way for showing off your wealth. Nothing screams "I have money!" more than a $10,000-17,000 product that's going to be obsolete in a few short years.

18. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Exactly. I can walk right into any other jeweler in town and try on one that sells every day for much more than the Edition and nobody would question me trying it on.

I have done this (or similar), quite a few times. I tried on a 58k engagement ring at the Tiffany store near Union Square back in October. It's just like mine (which is a Tiffany), but it's a little larger (not twice as large or anything... prices really ramp up when you're near to above a couple carats in a diamond solitaire). We didn't trade my current one in, or anything, though the did clean it for free. :)

And yet....

I start considering an appointment to try on the Apple Watch Edition and I hear things about ethics and morals. But, those Tiffany clerks are commissioned. ;)

----------

You have a very good point. I'm not a flashy-showy type when it comes to jewelry and clothing, so I'm not inclined to want to encourage muggings. I love nice diamonds (as indicated above), but my setting is plain enough that I'd be no more likely to get mugged than any other woman wearing a diamond ring unless muggers are gemologists nowadays.

That's the thing with the Edition. If you wear it, everyone knows exactly what you paid for it. If I go out and buy a Rolex, people may have a vague notion, but they don't exactly know. Maybe I bought it used and it's in good shape. Maybe I bought it yesterday.

Know what I mean?

----------

Maybe they'll just ask to hold my AMEX as collateral to make sure I'm serious? LOL.

I like that car idea better. I want to test drive a Tesla, but that's legitimately something I'd buy.

----------

According to the appointments schedule I read, they will have a box available to people trying on the Edition so that they an also try on the SS. No mention of the Sport, but I don't want it anyway.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Credit check has zero to do with wealth.

Source: myself

My credit is 804, but I'm 28 my only make 59,000

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There is no way I'd ever spend that kind of money on a watch.

21. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Go for it if you are curious, or want to just walk in without an appointment (potential Edition customers get bumped to the top of the waiting list).

The 30 minute time limit isn't such a big deal though, I mean although the regular appointments are meant to be around 15 minutes each, you shouldn't be rushed if you go a little over.

22. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Let's see... 59,000 divided by 17,000...

23. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

not sure what to say is it bad or good that mine is 783 , but im only 19 and make about 90k a year, most from own business and other from part time manager at local grocery store

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I would, but then I would have to travel all the way to LA or Costa Mesa. I'm just gonna book an appointment at my local store and check out the Sport and Stainless.

25. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

I'm sure Apple don't mind. If you're curious enough to try it on now, though with no intention of buying, then getting the chance to try it on might increase the desire in the back of your mind so that you might come back in a few months, or a year, or ten years from now with the money to buy their latest Edition watch.