Anyone mind giving me some advice as to which memory I would need for this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alacres, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Alacres macrumors member

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of getting a powermac G4 and I wasn't sure which memory was compatible with it. I tried a google search for it, but considering how dense I am when it comes to this kind of stuff, I couldn't figure out which version went for my system :p.

Here's the link to the powermac I'm thinking of buying - http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_G4_1_0GHz_Dual_Processor_Mirrored_Door_p/g410dpmd3.htm.

I found a place that sells 512mb's of ram, and I "think" it's the right kind, but it's still not what I'm looking for. I wanted to upgrade this thing to 2 gigs, but I'm not sure where to look and if it would even be the right kind. I think I read that it uses SDRAM, but isn't that Laptop RAM?

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd really appreciate it :).

2. gonyr macrumors 6502

3. Alacres thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a ton for the link, that looks like exactly what I need :).

I had one other question if you don't mind. I was under the impression that the powermac G4s only had 2 ram slots, but judging by what's said on the site you linked, it looks like they come with 4. Does that sound right?

I really hope that's true since I was hoping to upgrade to 2 gigs.

4. gonyr macrumors 6502

It varied from one model to another. The mirror door ones do in fact have four slots. Enjoy your new machine. I have a dual 867 in my spare room that doesn't get used much, but is pretty nice for an older computer. They are very loud, though.

5. G5power macrumors 6502

The Mirror Drive model like you are looking at has four memory slots.

My first Apple was the dual 867 version and it was great, I was able to move a couple of 512MB memory over from my last PC straight into the Apple.

As mentioned above the MDD models are kind of loud with the fans. However they are easy to upgrade with memory and also with several large IDE hard drives.

6. Alacres thread starter macrumors member

Ok, sounds great :). I probably spent about 2 hours this morning looking for 1gb sticks of ram that would work for it since I thought it only had 2 slots lol. Needless to say, I wasted a good 2 hours.

Thanks again for the info guys :).

7. Alacres thread starter macrumors member

I had another question if you guys don't mind. I ended up purchasing a powermac, but it doesn't come the adapter I need for using a PC monitor with it. So I was wondering - which adapter did I need to look for exactly? Is it just a standar DVI to VGA adapter, or is there something specific I need to get for a mac?

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

As far as I know, a standard adapter should work. I'm not 100% sure though.