Anyone miss the older, simpler iOS 5 apps...? Esp. YouTube...?

Turnpike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
So I'm looking through an old 4s that I keep around just for the YouTube app... I listen to a lot of interviews from YouTube when I'm working. So simple and easy to use... You can play your playlist without ads and interruptions... those were the days. Now when I use Youtube on my 6s Plus while walking I get so angry, it's so complicated, and I'm sure it's 95% all about ads and how they are delivered, so much so that they actually ruined the app, the YouTube experience, it's complicated to play, flip through videos, even go into your playlist and so on. I wish there was a paid option to use the older apps... when they were simple to use.

Is there anyone else who wishes for the older, less-feature-but-simpler-to-use apps? Like a LOT...?

Kobbr

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
There is a paid option for YouTube to use the new apps without ads, no?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
How are you using the old YouTube app in 2016? YouTube dropped support for it a long time ago.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
So I'm looking through an old 4s that I keep around just for the YouTube app... I listen to a lot of interviews from YouTube when I'm working. So simple and easy to use... You can play your playlist without ads and interruptions... those were the days. Now when I use Youtube on my 6s Plus while walking I get so angry, it's so complicated, and I'm sure it's 95% all about ads and how they are delivered, so much so that they actually ruined the app, the YouTube experience, it's complicated to play, flip through videos, even go into your playlist and so on. I wish there was a paid option to use the older apps... when they were simple to use.

Is there anyone else who wishes for the older, less-feature-but-simpler-to-use apps? Like a LOT...?

I am a google music subscriber which does offer me Youtube Red which makes it Ad free. If you want to pay for an Ad free option you can sub to Goggle play music or I believe you can sub for music red which i believe still gives you google music anyways :p
[doublepost=1463156918][/doublepost]

Yes Youtube Red.... Comes with Google music as well which is similar to Apple music. $9.99 a month.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Turnpike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
How are you using the old YouTube app in 2016? YouTube dropped support for it a long time ago.
I have an iPhone 4s with the old YouTube app on it. That old app doesn't have ads. It's the only reason I keep that phone around, I use it on wifi like an ipod around the house. :)
[doublepost=1463277077][/doublepost]

YouTube Red. $120 a year to avoid ads? Thing is, if the interface of the new app was simpler and easier to use, I'd probably think about it. I spend $100+ per month on iTunes, so I'm not cheap. It's just the combination of the high price and stupid interface that makes me use the old app instead.

Kobbr

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
I have an iPhone 4s with the old YouTube app on it. That old app doesn't have ads. It's the only reason I keep that phone around, I use it on wifi like an ipod around the house. :)

YouTube Red. $120 a year to avoid ads? Thing is, if the interface of the new app was simpler and easier to use, I'd probably think about it. I spend $100+ per month on iTunes, so I'm not cheap. It's just the combination of the high price and stupid interface that makes me use the old app instead.

Use the safari browser and you won't get ads, and you can play in the background

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Use the safari browser and you won't get ads, and you can play in the background
I always get ads in safari. However, I signed up for a YouTube Red family plan with some friends, and it worked out to $2.50 a month each for ad free YouTube and Google play music. Not a bad option.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

The interface is fine .... Plus I pay $95.88 for it so im happy :)

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Protube is a YouTube app which skips ads and supports PIP and background audio.

Ultimately, it's google's decision to serve ads. Understandable, considering that advertising forms the backbone of their revenue.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I miss Cover Flow and the iPod icon app from the old days...

I prefer Scott Forstall's skeuomorphic design of iOS. Not the flat design with loud colors of Jony Ive's. There is only a few things I find cooler with the post iOS7-era design. But I also have to be stuck with apps I don't use like Newsstand.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I miss Cover Flow and the iPod icon app from the old days...

I prefer Scott Forstall's skeuomorphic design of iOS. Not the flat design with loud colors of Jony Ive's. There is only a few things I find cooler with the post iOS7-era design. But I also have to be stuck with apps I don't use like Newsstand.

Yep, I liked that earlier non-flat design too.... I'm used to the new stuff now, but the feel and look of the old wasn't needing the updating as badly as they thought.

Reactions: na1577

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
In terms of YouTube, specifically, Google has to get paid somehow especially with how much they pay out to content makers. YouTube wasn't all ad supported back in the day, but it has evolved into that. I'm not a lover of ads but I also don't expect content I consume to be free since Thad simply not how the world works. Ads on "free" content are a way of life and I can't honestly say I'm unhappy dealing with them so long as I don't have to pay for any of it.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

YouTube dropped support for the old app, you shouldn't be able to use it.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Apps can't stay simple because the market keeps changing.

Cars used to have radios that had AM/FM/Tape/CD player for your audio source.

My 2011 Touareg has Bluetooth, CD, FM, AM, Satellite, 2 SD cards and a hard drive as audio source.

Remember FIFA 98? That game work with 2 buttons. Pass and Shoot.

FIFA 16 has like 8 buttons to accomplish the same things.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Apps can't stay simple because the market keeps changing.

Cars used to have radios that had AM/FM/Tape/CD player for your audio source.

My 2011 Touareg has Bluetooth, CD, FM, AM, Satellite, 2 SD cards and a hard drive as audio source.

Remember FIFA 98? That game work with 2 buttons. Pass and Shoot.

FIFA 16 has like 8 buttons to accomplish the same things.

Using a Soccer video game analogy probably would fly over most people heads here :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.