Anyone miss the older, simpler iOS 5 apps...? Esp. YouTube...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turnpike, May 13, 2016.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

So I'm looking through an old 4s that I keep around just for the YouTube app... I listen to a lot of interviews from YouTube when I'm working. So simple and easy to use... You can play your playlist without ads and interruptions... those were the days. Now when I use Youtube on my 6s Plus while walking I get so angry, it's so complicated, and I'm sure it's 95% all about ads and how they are delivered, so much so that they actually ruined the app, the YouTube experience, it's complicated to play, flip through videos, even go into your playlist and so on. I wish there was a paid option to use the older apps... when they were simple to use.

Is there anyone else who wishes for the older, less-feature-but-simpler-to-use apps? Like a LOT...?

2. CYKBC macrumors 6502

I just wish the audio would keep playing in background.

3. Kobbr macrumors regular

There is a paid option for YouTube to use the new apps without ads, no?

4. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

How are you using the old YouTube app in 2016? YouTube dropped support for it a long time ago.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I am a google music subscriber which does offer me Youtube Red which makes it Ad free. If you want to pay for an Ad free option you can sub to Goggle play music or I believe you can sub for music red which i believe still gives you google music anyways :p
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---

Yes Youtube Red.... Comes with Google music as well which is similar to Apple music. $9.99 a month.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I remember how awesome iOS6 was and the older YouTube applications. Good ol days..

7. Mjmar macrumors 65816

iOS used to be beautiful and intuitive. I miss those days.

8. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I have an iPhone 4s with the old YouTube app on it. That old app doesn't have ads. It's the only reason I keep that phone around, I use it on wifi like an ipod around the house. :)
    --- Post Merged, May 14, 2016 ---

YouTube Red. $120 a year to avoid ads? Thing is, if the interface of the new app was simpler and easier to use, I'd probably think about it. I spend $100+ per month on iTunes, so I'm not cheap. It's just the combination of the high price and stupid interface that makes me use the old app instead.

9. Kobbr macrumors regular

Use the safari browser and you won't get ads, and you can play in the background

10. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

11. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I always get ads in safari. However, I signed up for a YouTube Red family plan with some friends, and it worked out to $2.50 a month each for ad free YouTube and Google play music. Not a bad option.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The interface is fine .... Plus I pay $95.88 for it so im happy :)

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Protube is a YouTube app which skips ads and supports PIP and background audio.

Ultimately, it's google's decision to serve ads. Understandable, considering that advertising forms the backbone of their revenue.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

I miss Cover Flow and the iPod icon app from the old days...

I prefer Scott Forstall's skeuomorphic design of iOS. Not the flat design with loud colors of Jony Ive's. There is only a few things I find cooler with the post iOS7-era design. But I also have to be stuck with apps I don't use like Newsstand.

15. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Yep, I liked that earlier non-flat design too.... I'm used to the new stuff now, but the feel and look of the old wasn't needing the updating as badly as they thought.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

In terms of YouTube, specifically, Google has to get paid somehow especially with how much they pay out to content makers. YouTube wasn't all ad supported back in the day, but it has evolved into that. I'm not a lover of ads but I also don't expect content I consume to be free since Thad simply not how the world works. Ads on "free" content are a way of life and I can't honestly say I'm unhappy dealing with them so long as I don't have to pay for any of it.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

YouTube dropped support for the old app, you shouldn't be able to use it.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apps can't stay simple because the market keeps changing.

Cars used to have radios that had AM/FM/Tape/CD player for your audio source.

My 2011 Touareg has Bluetooth, CD, FM, AM, Satellite, 2 SD cards and a hard drive as audio source.

Remember FIFA 98? That game work with 2 buttons. Pass and Shoot.

FIFA 16 has like 8 buttons to accomplish the same things.

19. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Using a Soccer video game analogy probably would fly over most people heads here :p

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Remember how multitasking was garbage and copy-paste was suspect?

21. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yup I certainly do.

Oh and I'm not sure - I never thought he was a replicant but...

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Heck, most of the early sports games had a pass or shoot button (Hockey, Soccer, Basketball)