Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Software bug: A software bug is an error, flaw or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.

Ergo.. what I am experiencing is a bug.

PS. it only seems to be happening under dark mode :)

Anyway, back to the thread topic.. :)
i stand by what i said; in general, bugs are universal, singular issues are not.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
a bug is something many people are experiencing (or everyone is). an issue is something you have... which this seems to be, and perhaps worth resolving. ask for help here! this is a great community, and, going over the details (which mac, for example) might help.

It's not true that many people have to experience something for it to be a bug. As a software developer, I know this very well. Someone experiences something, you investigate, you find that you made a mistake in the code, and then you understand why no other people experienced the same thing. That's a bug.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It's not true that many people have to experience something for it to be a bug. As a software developer, I know this very well. Someone experiences something, you investigate, you find that you made a mistake in the code, and then you understand why no other people experienced the same thing. That's a bug.
i don't get this: "you find that you made a mistake in the code, and then you understand why no other people experienced the same thing".

doesn't it seem more likely that your issue is something specific to your mac/setup/OS install/whatever, than a code fail??

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Even if it happens to only one person, it's still a bug. A worse one because it will be harder to reproduce and fix.
no, a bug is something consistent for some (or many, or all) users. an issue is something related to your setup.

but we're going in circles, so call it what you will.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
i don't get this: "you find that you made a mistake in the code, and then you understand why no other people experienced the same thing".

doesn't it seem more likely that your issue is something specific to your mac/setup/OS install/whatever, than a code fail??

Not usually, speaking for myself as a developer who is currently working through a bug. I have hundreds of users compared to Apple's millions, but I think my situation is still illustrative.

My bug occurs in only one environment. All other environments work fine. So, it's natural to point a finger at the problematic environment. Well, it turns out that single environment had slightly different database permission settings which exposed aberrant behavior in my application. The other environments were more forgiving, but the behavior of my application was definitely wrong.

Reactions: motulist

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
I use external ssd to install big sur from fresh.

after a few week, I start to like Big Sur's UI.

qoop

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2021
THE UNITED KINGDOM
I moved on you know.. What else can you do, especially if you have the M1 Mac. Design wise I prefer Catalina and Mountain Lion no doubt about that. The only thing I kinda like about Big Sur more is the rounded dock. Hate the iOS like icons though.
Have you been informed that you're free to have opinions, but also reminded that they're not facts yet? :p

• Haha
Reactions: fisherking

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm not aware of any facts I stated in this post.
I wondered about that. What facts? Perhaps they understood "What else can you do" to be rhetorical for "There's nothing else you can do", which is a statement of fact. Just a guess.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I installed Big Sur in an VM to test the kerberos integration, and was reminded why I don’t like it. The UI is horrible, and why do not need to be told that it’s trying to connect to Wifi when there isn’t a wireless card.

No, I’ll wait for the next version or the next version after that.

In the mean time, I hope that Adobe have figured out how to make programs run under Linux ... I moved to MacOS wen the first Intel MBP came out to get a stable platform which has X11 support and a proper terminal (don’t like putty). Now, after having seen Ubuntu Desktop I am thinking about moving back to Linux. Or if Apple can’t get their act together ... Windows (which is also in it’s own way horrible).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.