Anyone missing Google Reader...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wobegong, Jul 2, 2013.

1. wobegong Guest

.....and unable to find a PPC app that will import your Reader Google Takeout file - I found a solution with the Bamboo Thunderbird/TenFourBird extension, it imports the OMPL file from Google Takeout and is actually a pretty damned good RSS reader as well.

Sure there are many other alternatives but just as an fyi...

If you don't use a mail client theoldreader.com is pretty good as a fast browser link and again allows imports.

2. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

-Wikipedia

4. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

LOL

Well, my point was:

Yeah, few people actually use RSS everyday

5. wobegong, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

wobegong thread starter Guest

Well I agree with this guy http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgol...down-of-google-reader-threatens-the-internet/

Its an easy way of tracking huge amounts of news from sources you want to get news from (as opposed to apps that 'learn' what you like and decide for themselves), is easier than Bookmarks and effficient (for me, if you use an email client which I have to do anyway) i just click a tab in my mail client and have all my bang up to date news stories listed from all my sources - Plus RSS is not tracked, you have a direct link with the site without cookies, subscriptions etc.

I used Pulse, News360 etc. on my iOS devices but I always reply on my RSS to get the news I really want and in an easy to glance headline list. I guess it all depends on how varied your news/knowledge requirements are - if its just PS3 games maybe not but I keep track of everything from common news (both for home and the country I live in), science, technology, computing etc. and I know which sites I like/trust to give good information and not have an app decide for me what it wishes to present and from where.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

7. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

My powerpc macs are no my everyday computers, but I do miss Greader, now I am using feedly, and although it is similar is not as good.