Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I bought the 13" TB version of the MBP. I love it except for one thing: battery life. I've done three battery cycles and haven't gotten more than 6.5 hours on a charge. That's just not enough—especially coming from a 2013 MBA that still gets 10-11 hours on a 3-year old battery.

Now I need to decide whether to replace the "tMBP" with a 13" MBP (no-TB) or a 15". I love TouchID, especially with 1Password, and although I'm not using the TB much yet, I can see its potential. And from what I've gathered, the 15" gets about 8 hours of battery life. I'd prefer more, but think I can live with it. This makes me lean toward the 15".

On the other hand, I'm concerned about the heavier weight of the 15". My primary use for this laptop is travel and the couple days a week that I work away from my main office, so portability is important. I can see from the specs that it's actually pretty close in size/dims to my 2013 MBA, but it is one pound heavier.

Just wondering if anyone out there has made the move from the 2013 MBA to the 15" MBP, and what you think about 1) battery life, and 2) extra weight.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I think go with the non-touch, you obviously don't need the power requirements of the 15". The touch-bar could become useful or be totally useless for years to come until the next refreshed model - in which case, you'll be in a position to upgrade the 13" more naturally, as it was a much cheaper initial investment.

The weight/size difference is quite a lot, and the 15" might run more noisy/hot due to the dGPU (although that is speculation). Really though, I wouldn't jump to the 15" just for touch bar. Touch ID is nice, but the inconvenience of a password entering is far less cumbersome then lugging around a 15" when you don't care for the power or screen estate. The physical F keys also have their pro's to them vs the touch bar in some areas, so it isn't like the touch bar is an upgrade, rather, features with some compromises.

In addition, the touch bar is quite buggy in many area's and the 15" has owners already reporting dGPU/graphical glitches.

There is always Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook - and there is an app which allows you to use your iPhones touchid to unlock it too if you really hate passwords. Save your $$$!

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
You're probably right. I don't always have my iPhone with me, and I'm reluctant to get an Apple Watch for the sole purpose of unlocking my MBP (that's all I'd really use it for). I've gotten this far without a TB, I will probably be fine for another year or two until Apple works out the battery issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.